Sony STRDN1080 biwiring Centre Speaker

JMHM

Standard Member
Hello
I have a Sony STRDN1080 and a Mission 78C centre speaker. The speaker does not have crossovers and has four connectors and needs to be biwired. How should I connect the speaker to the amp as the amp only has two connections for the centre speaker?

Thanks for your advice

dante01

Distinguished Member
Biwiring is pointless without also bi-amping and the STRDN1080 has no facility to bi-amp the centre speaker. You are simply doubling the wire thicknrss between the receiver and the speaker if bi-wiring without bi-amping and you can do this without bi-wiring by simply using thicker wire. Besides this, there's no advantage to using thicker wire unless you are conveying a signal over a considerable distance.

The Mission 78c is biwirable, but does include an integral crossover. You don't have to bi-wire it. Just leave the bridgeing plates in place and wire normally. If the plates are missing then you can bridge the connectors using speaker wire.

Last edited:

JMHM

Standard Member
Thanks, that’s very helpful. The problem is the bridging plates are missing so I’ll use speaker wire to bridge as you suggest.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yeah, you'd need something similar to this arrangement then:

terminals.jpg

Here's what the 78c's terminals would ordinarilly look like if the plates were in place:
1843249-rare-mission-782-centre-78c-and-rears-78ds-home-theatre-speakers.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom