Sony STRDH190 + Sony SSCS5 + Sony SACS9

atlas126

Just purchased the 3 subject pieces of equipment for my home office. Space is about 10ft x 10ft so relatively small, especially considering my chair is only ~4ft from the receiver and sub. I've got those 2 speakers mounted in the corners behind me, and a couple cheapo Acoustic speakers on the far corners just to round-out the room's sound. Because there's no dedicated sub line out of the receiver, it's running off one of the speaker out channels.

The sound is good. Despite comments from audiophiles about the individual items, I think the lows, mids, and highs are all there for what I listen to. I also enjoy the built-in preamp for my turntable and that the bluetooth can connect with my PC for music streaming services. All in all, does what I need without extra bells and whistles. However, I feel like the volume is turned way up to really be immersed in the music and I'm wondering if it's a power output issue.

Receiver: 100 watts x 2 (8 ohms, 1khtz; speaker impedance 6–16 ohm)
Sony speakers: 100w max input power, 6ohm
Sony subwoofer: 115w (6 ohms, 80 Hz, 10% THD); frequency response 28-200 Hz
Accoustic speakers: 150Hz-20 kHz with 88dB at 8ohm, "power from your amp should be no less than 20 and no more than 200 watts per channel"

Like I said, the sound is good - no distortion, no crackling. But is this drawing too much power from the amp? Do I need a receiver with a greater power output to handle everything? Will this strain or blow the speakers?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom