1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STRDE697 or alternative £150-£250

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Neber, Feb 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Neber

Neber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would appreciate some help I am planning to buy my first AV amp tomorrow morning.

I have been looking for ages and had settled on a Denon 1905 but heard there were reliability issues, then decided on the 1705 at £169 but have just found I can get the Sony STRDE697 for £139, problem is I can't find a review anywhere.

Does anyone know if they are any good? Bearing in mind I am thinking of getting AE Evo 3 Floorstanders or Mission M34's (already have rears and sub), I have a medium sized room will use 70% for Movies.

Is it worth getting this cheaper amp so I can spend an extra £50 on speakers?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

2. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    In a word ... no. If you want a Sony get a QS range amp - the STR-DB795 can be had for £230.

3. Neber

Neber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does the QS range mean. Not particularly bothered about sony do you think the Denon 1705 is better?

4. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    So you asked about the Sony STR-DE697, then state you are not particularly bothered in a reply? OK, whatever...

The QS range are better built and specified than the standard kit, eg solid aluminium fascias, binding posts for speakers, better amplifiers and audio components The ES range is higher still.

I've not heard the Denon 1705 so can't advise. Try the search function to see what other people have said before on here. My best advice is to listen to the amps you're interested in at a dealer, not just just buying blind on the feature count and the opinion of WHF.