Sony STRDB940, should I buy one?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Wiggins, Jan 11, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,
    I've just purchased a Tosh 56 projection screen (I know, what a rich sod, well I've been saving for a very long time), and I want to purchase an amp and some speakers to complement the set.
    After much deliberation I decided on the Eltax Chroma series of speakers, which average about 150W total output each.
    What I am still to decide on is a suitable amplifier. I have been looking at all the ino available and the Sony DB940 is one of the choices I am considering.
    What I would like to know is what do people think to it, and what are the pro's and con's.
    Any help/ information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Alex W-G
    [email protected]

2. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alex
    i have purchased the sony str940......it is a superb amp for the money its hard to touch !!! it also uses a lot of technology/parts from its bigger brother which is 3 x the price..........i run it with B & W speakers and a tosh 100e dvd player i watched Glatiator (DTS) over xmas it is awesome.......plenty of grunt volume knob barely has to go past 9 oclock....also the de-coding and soundstage when set to Cinema b opens up the rear of the room superbly...............by the way i tested two other amps similar price both lacked power and depth.........on a minus point music (cd ) playback can be a little bright so i run music on auto-decode cinema and with a well tuned sub this gives more than enough satisfaction............if its movies you want this baby rocks.....on a final note i have a mate who bought a denon amp for a grand.......he came round the house and listened to my "budget amp" he claimed he had been ripped off !!!!!

Cheers paul

3. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks a lot Paul.
    That's made my mind up for me.
    I'll only be using it for home cinema so audio CD playback isn't an issue for me.
    What your friend said about the Denon encouraged me, I'd spent a lot of time looking at the high end ones wishing I could afford them.
    Thanks
    Alex

4. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to help Alex.........buy the sony
    and enjoy your movies........

Paul

p.s post a note after you have it and let everyone know your thoughts......

5. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Paul

I have recently purchased this amp, and am now looking for speakers. Funnily enough I was considering B & W speakers, perhaps the 601s though as I can't really justify or afford the 602s, as fronts/rears. What does your speaker system consist of?

Thanks.

Andy P.

6. SteveK

SteveK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you consider the SAVE705 speakers?

7. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning Alex..........my hc room os approx 15ft x 12ft- only for hc use..........my set up consists of B&W fronts..601s2' on atacama stands..........b&w centre cc6s2......rears dipole eltax's ........and my sub is a paradigm pb1000........i auditioned 2 subs an m&k model something mk2 at 600 quid and from richer sounds the para pb1000.....in my opinion the para was fantastic well controlled and plenty of roomshaking the m&k just didn't inspire.........but the best part is the sub from richer sounds was 180 quid !!!!(richersounds.com) the eltax rears were 149 quid for what hifi rated dipole rears...they are great....the centre was i think 199 and the fronts 199 a pair......i think they have been upgraded now.........any way alex linked up to the amp with good cable(bi-wire front & centre)
    and coax profigold from dvd-amp(maybe of interest i tried both opt and coax...tested with massive attacks mezzanine track 1 and coax has definite richer clarity and depth)

alex would reccomend b&w fronts and centre.......try as thes are the mainstay of sound to use same makes for good balance......hey if you can afford it i know that B & W do a cinema pack for 1200 its supposed to be great.........however i wouldn't swap my sub at 180 quid for anything.....([email protected])

alex keep in touch e-mail address above

Paul

8. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a note apologies Andy !!! i called you Alex in my last post

Paul

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,I have Budget Tannoy Speakers M3..M1..MC AND A Sony 940 Receiver,I was interested in your comments about the Paradigm 1000 Sub-woofer since I was only considering the TannoyMSUB10 @£250.

10. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martinc......can't reccommend the paradigm pb1000 enough dont really know any thing about tannoy sub.....one other thing i found with the para sub is the ease to set up and integrate into system
    and the fact it runs superbly with my sony 940

Paul

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,
    Thanks for getting back to me,I appreciate the advice on this and will check out if Richer Sounds has one of these.
    martinc.

12. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martinc
    noticed on the classified section under misscellaneous........theres a bloke selling a para pb1000 for 125 quid !!!!
    probably gone by now.......worth a shot

Paul

13. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi everyone,
    just a quick note to say I recieved my DB940 this morning before I left for work.
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like the speakers I ordered (Eltax Chroma System) will be arriving till next week.
    I suppose I'll have to be content to read the manual and stare at the many buttons and connections with wonder over the weekend!
    Rest assured I'll tell you what I think once I've got it up and running. A DTS copy of Gladiator is just itching to be played!
    Cheers
    Alex W-G

14. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i envy you wiggins the smell of new av boxes
    and unread manuals is this a bloke thing
    ?
    Paul

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Paul,
    E-mailed this bloke but so far no reply...

martinc