Sony STRDB940 connections (newbie)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by johna, Jan 25, 2001.

Tags:
  1. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Wiggins.

Right the first thing to remeber is that the inputs on the sony remain seperate e.g. if you input phono you can not output to the TV in s-video (they are on a seperate bus)
    So to answer your question - buy a scart to s-video adapter and connect that from the rear of the Video to the rear of the amp (video 1) the you need a s-video to s-video and connect that from the monitor out on the amp to the TV in. If your TV hasn't got an S-video input use a scart to S-video from the amp to the TV scart input. If your Tv hasn't enough scarts try using the composite outputs inputs instead.

Have a look at this for bi wireing.
    www.home-cinema-guide.co.uk

Hope this helps

2. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi "Wiggins"

I was in exactly the same position as you a month ago with my 940, see my
    thread down the page for some more answers to your questions.

To summarise, I have left my video connections as they were before the amp
    arrived, they are all Scart:- Video 1 to Video 2, Video 1 to TV, and DVD to
    TV (RGB). Audio side of things is as follows:- DVD to TV via 75ohm digital
    co-axial, Video 1 to TV via phono, TV to amp via phono.

B&W speakers all round:- 602 fronts and CC6 centre bi-wired with QED "Silver
    Anniversary" cable, 601 rears with regular QED two-core stuff (£2.50 /m).
    Phono and co-axial cables are by Sonic Link.

Hope this helps.

Andy P.

3. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi everyone,
    Just a quick thanks for all the responses and help you've all given me. It looks like I'll be buying a few scart to s-video cables!
    Cheers
    Alex Wright-Gibbins

4. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,
    I just recieved my Sony reciever the other day. It is my first one and I am a little confused over several connection issues.
    Firstly, how do I connect my video player to the Sony and then get the image back to the tv? My video player only has scart 2 scart sockets on the back, and the Sony reciever only has composite and phono inputs/outputs and s-video.
    I understand I could connect the video and reciever with a scart to 3phono cable, but I am unsure of how to get the video signal to the tv, which only has scarts and component video (which are used by a dvd player) sockets. Should I buy a s-video to scart cable to go from the recievr to the tv?
    What do other people do and where do you usually get your cables from?
    Secondly I have a question about bi-wiring.
    I have yet to receive my speakers (Eltax Chroma's) so I have only the information from the suppliers and HCC to go on.
    I have been told that the two fronts can be bi-wired (four seperate connections, and at the reciever end I need to twist the wire together to create just one negative and one positive strand to insert into the connection terminals at the back of the Sony. Is this correct? How the heck does it work?
    I already bought the cable from a local AV company who basically gave me what they said I needed.
    Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated.
    Alex Wright-Gibbins

5. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wiggins,
    I have the 940 also.
    "how do I connect my video player to the Sony and then get the image back to the tv?"

You should be aware that the two sets of connections on the back of the 940 (i.e. the s-video and composite) use separate buses and don't mix. Thus, if you connect your video via composite outs and then attempt to connect the 940 to your TV by s-video, you will not be able to get a picture.

Thus, stick to one connection type here and you will be OK.

I decided against connecting video through the amp at all, (a) because I don't have the cables and (b) because I was worried that connecting my DVD player as composite through the amp would give me a lower quality picture than direct DVD to TV over RGB connection via scart.

You don't have anything really to gain by seeing the on-screen menus but you do gain the ability to switch video sources through the amp and have only the single connection (amp to TV) rather than the customary scart fight into the TV (My Panny only has 2 scarts)

Re your biwiring question - using 4 strands of cable per speaker connect HF+ and LF+ on the speaker to + on the amp and HF- and LF- to - on the amp. i.e. 4 connections at the speaker end to two connections at the amp end.

The following article explains better than me... http://www.home-cinema-guide.co.uk/BiWiring%20Guide/biwire.htm

The sony 940 settings are a minefield and will take a lot of re-reading the user manual and some frustrating experimentation so good luck!

Gid

6. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Wiggins,How did your install go?
    Can you tell me what you needed? How many scarts/phono/digital coax etc you needed?
    How does your setup looks like?

Also as we're all buyers of this Amp. What other amps did you audition?
    I am not sure if i should compare this Amp to the Yamaha rxv 596 or the rxv 800?

7. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the plunge and went for a complete reconnection exercise, courtesy of beyondhifi.com's great offers on scarts and s-video cables...

Now my setup's going to be connected as follows:-

VCR to amp Video1 (scart to s-video&2-phono)
    PS1 to amp Video2 (s-vid&2-phono both ends)
    DVD to amp DVD digital in (digital coaxial)
    DVD to amp CD in (2-phono to 2-phono)
    DVD to amp DVD in (s-video to s-video)
    CabTV to amp TV in (scart to s-video&2-phono)
    amp monitor out to TV (svideo to scart)

I spent > £40 on the cables to test this out and I'm going to rearrange it all this weekend so I'll post again for any issues which crop up.

Be interested to hear if anyone else is connected similar to me.

Gid

8. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just connected my 940.

-Nitendo consoles to Video1 via phonos
    -LD to video2 via phonos
    -VCR via scart to TV and phonos(L+R) to MD/Dat
    -TV via scart with 3phono(outs) to TV/Sat and 1 phono to monitorout.
    -DVD via Scart(RGB)to TV and Digtal Coax to Amp.

The strange thing with me is that according to sony helpdesk. Connecting my VCR via scart to my TV and than connecting my TV via scart to phonos with My amp will mean i don't need to connect my VCR to my amp for the sound.
    As you can read it didn't work. When i don't connect the phonos from VCR to AMP directly i don't get any sound when using my VCR via the amp. Anyone else tried this solution?

Secondly i connect the monitor out via the phono to scart. The scart i connected to my TV via AV3.
    Now the strange thing happens that when i want to use my OSD. I must change the channel of my TV to AV3.(Where the scart is connected)
    Is this the way it should work? Because this means that when i want to watch regular TV, DVD or VCR which is directly connected to TV via Scarts...I can't see/use the OSD. Is there a way to connect so that i can use the OSD all the time?

Well hope you can help me out here.

Gid, do you have an SVHS vcr? A normal VHS VCR doesn't have a Svideo output/scart.
    Furthermore having both sources using normal phono and Svideo. Means that your monitor to TV connection ,must not only deliver a svideo to scart connection, but also a normal(yellow) phono connection to scart. Other wise your PS1 which doesn't use Svideo will only play in B/W.
    I am curious how your setup worksout.

Greetings,

Daniel

9. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan,
    The reason you have to keep switching video source on the TV is because each component (DVD, VCR, TV, LD, etc) is coming into a different A/V input on the TV.

If you don't want to switch sources on the TV, you have to connect every video source through the amp and then make the final connection amp (monitor) to TV.

This way, you should only have one input to your TV, this being via s-video to scart or phono to scart. This would also mean that you would get no audio through your TV speakers from any video source connected through your amp - but why would you want this anyway???

Re my video - it is not S-VHS, nor does it output s-video but I think you can connect it up to the amp, outputting composite video but using a scart to s-video & 2-phono lead to the amp.

I've bought all the connectors for this, and as soon as they arrive on my doorstep I will connect it up and let you know the result.

Gid

10. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Tried for the first time since 2001 to connect an output from the 940 monitor out to my new pj. I was using composite from the Freeview box to the Amp, and S-Video out from the monitor out om the amp to the PJ.

I couldn't get it to work, but after some thinking, this thread has confirmed my suspicions why it didn't work - isn't searching great!

On a side note, my 940 remote commander doesn't seem to work at all now - anyone any ideas why?