Sony strdb930 no surround sound.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cdb, Jul 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I think my receiver may have finally died as far as the rear speakers go. There has been a (intermittent) clicking from the amp for a while, a relay of some sort maybe?? Does anyone know if there is a common fault on these (old) amps? I'll probably take it to the local repair man, but it would be good if I could give it to him and say compnent X needs changing. :)

2. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I think it's died. I have no surround and have lost the front left speaker too :S
    Anyone come across this problem?

3. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite, but my STR-DB1080 started making clicking noises on all speakers which got steadily louder. This was after only 4 months. Eventually...got it repaired under warranty, took nearly 6 weeks IIRC. It was the power supply thingy that was knackered. It's been OK for the last 12months..........

Cheers
    Rich

4. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends how confident you are, but my 930 started to hum loudly in the rear speakers recently, so I whipped the lid off and reseated the many ribbon cables, multipoint connectors and fuses. All seems to have settled down now. Might be worth a try?

5. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My STRDB940 has also been losing the centre speaker intermittently for about the first half hour or so after switching the thing on. I also get the clicking noises. It's a few years old though, so was thinking of upgrading anyway, unless it proves inexpensive to fix?

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Sony STR-DB930
    look in the manual, follow the reset to factory settings proceedure.
    I have recovered my rear channels twice by doing that.
    Both my speaker losses happened after my 3 year old had unsupervised access to the amp, so there is clearly some combination of buttons that confuses the thing.

When the speakers are in their non-working mode, they can squeak, hiss and click and generally make "my cones are ripped" noises.