1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STRDB795 Receiver and SAVS300H Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by praj912, Mar 30, 2005.

1. praj912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    :lease: I've got an oppportunity to pick these up at about 42% of their retail price each. Should I? The receiver seems to get good reviews (over the STRDE697, which was panned on a couple of threads? True?).
    The speaker package doesn't seem to get a good review. Any thoughts?
    I would use them 90% for music, with a weekly DVD. Gotta be better than the cheap all in one stereo system I'm using now?

Also, I have a pair of HUGE Jansson hi-fi speakers (4ohm, 91db sensitivity I think) from the early 90's (and Yamaha 5-disc and stereo receiver 60W) in storage which I could substitute for the two front speakers. Would this work with the 8ohm 82db sensitivity satellites and subwoofer?

Any advice would be appreciated. :boring:
  2. chedmaster

Jan 29, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    you are right i had the 697 for a couple of weeks and it is, imo, worse than my old sherwood rd6106R. not only did it sound bad - especially for music - but it tried to do too much in the movie field, as if the dsp was not good enough, i would get audio delay when watching movies in 6.1, sometimes even in 5.1, and NEO:6 from sky would gradually lose lipsync, meaning i needed to turn the amp off and on again! who knows what would of happened with dts 96/24 which it claimed to support.

i have not heard the 795 but have heard many good things about it (apart from that buzzing? but i belive that is fixed now...) and the speakers would definately improve the music over satellites/sub. also never heard the speaker package (as far as i know).