1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STRDB795 loudish buzzing noise?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by aaswift, Oct 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. aaswift

aaswift
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As title really.

I've had it a couple of weeks from new, left it on for about 40 hours uninterrupted to break it in and all seemed well until recently. I have noticed that after powering on and even without a device on, I get a noticeable buzzing noise from all the speakers, but most noteably from the centre speaker.

As far as I can tell, the buzz slowly diminishes over time, although it could just be that the noise from the broadcast etc is covering it sufficiently well for me to stop noticing. The speakers are all connected securely with new cable and the only speaker near the TV is the centre speaker.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Ta :smashin:

2. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi There,

I am having exactly the same problem with my Sony strdb790 (the model previous to yours). I can only now assume it's a fault with the amp as I've hooked up my old Sherwood amp and positioned it exactly where the sony was (in case it was interference from something) and the Sherwood works fine.

Gutted as I picked the Sony up for peanuts (ex-display from Comet of all places!!), but it looks like it's going to have to go back!

Do you know if yours was an ex-display unit? My local Sony centre thought that maybe some damage could have been done by it being constantly switched off and on with no inputs to it and also that some security tagging systems in large stores can cause damage to certain delicate components.

Hope you sort yours out - tried everything with mine and can't get the noise to go away so it's going back.

cheers,

dave b.

3. aaswift

aaswift
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A bit of extra fiddling over the weekend has turned up some odd results. I get the buzzing as soon as it turns on. If I then select a source that is live i.e. Tuner, TV etc, the buzzing gets much quieter. If I do this for 30s or so, then I can switch back to a source that is idle and not get the buzzing. It seems to be a very short-lived buzz and I have no idea what is causing it - although I think I am happy to live with it.

As for your unit, mine was brand new boxed. In the dark days, I used to work for Comet for a few years and let me tell you this; if you have bought an ex-display unit, then there is no telling what abuse it may have received - from the public or staff. It's unlikely it was powered up to receive that kind of abuse, but how it got into ex-display status (this term does not simply cover an item unboxed and on the shelf, returns and all sorts get this tag) is anyone's guess. Chances are, it has been slung around from pillar to post and probably dislodged a cable connection internally, causing the buzzing. Take it back and see what they will do to appease you for selling you un-tested faulty goods.

Good luck.

4. hairycat

hairycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just encountered exactly the same buzzing on switching my STRDB795 on (owned around 3 weeks from boxfresh new) - did you ever solve your problem?

5. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Seems to be happening on a few of these - have a look through some of the other threads........no consolation I know, but it does seem to be a design fault, rather than a one-off with your particular unit. Get it swapped or get a refund asap, as no-one as yet has managed to get it to stop completely.

cheers,

dave (JudgeBaxter)

6. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Had the same problem with mine straight out of the box - a low level buzzing noise. Luckily it was still under the 30 day return policy, so I swapped it for a Denon. You wouldn't think a big and reputable company like Sony would let something like this slip out, especially after testing and quality control.

7. cYs

cYs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried it without any input sources with 2.0 speaker config? Try on low volume. Buzzing apart, the STR-DB795 it is a true beauty. I've returned my unit now. I'm gonna wait till Sony resolves this issue once and for all.

8. Tug100

Tug100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine's going back too - really disappointed after all the 'hype'. It's just not good enough. The shop described it as a 'trait' and suggested no point replacing it with another 795 because they all do it! Look's like it's going to be a Denon intead then.

9. cYs

cYs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's a poor show. Considering QS is supposedly Sony's flagship range. I was devasted when I realised it had to go back. Sony techies are apparently aware of the problem and are busy recreating the buzzing.

Wonder if STR DB2000 owners have same problem?

10. aaswift

aaswift
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, after speaking to a friend who is a technician in such equipment, I left the unit on continuously for 100+ hours to fill the reservoirs. Needless to say, after its rest period, the buzzing was still there. with or without connections and in any sound mode, the buzz is there for almost exactly 2 mins then goes. Bizarrely, if you crank the volume right up, the buzz disappears and returns as soon as you put the volume back to a normal level.

Confused? You bet. Can I be arsed to disconnect it all and send it back? Nope! Interesting to see what the outcome of all this is...

11. marts00

marts00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just received my new 795 amp and it buzzes when switched on.Then sort of diminishes.Can i just leave it switched on without any ill effects to my other equipment as its goin to **** me off everytime i reach for the on button.I usually buy Sony....car hifi,vaio laptops etc..but from now on they can ********...this is out of order.

12. aaswift

aaswift
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Leaving it on all the time should not do any harm to any other equipment. It will however cause the amp to get excessively hot over time. For what it's worth, you should only get that buzzing if the unit has been off for >12 hours at a time.

My media technician is coming to have a look this Friday, so I'll update you all if there is any useful outcome.

13. kwhite01

kwhite01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently (September) purchased an STR-DB790 and after a month of use it developed a fault. My local Sony centre sent it off for repair and after two weeks were still unable to fix it, so they agreed to replace it with a new one.

Alas, the 790 is no longer sold, so they gave me a new 795 instead. As soon as I set this up I had the low volume hissing noise when it was powered on. At first I thought it must be either my speaker wire or a piece of equipment I had connected to it causing interference etc.

So I diconnected everything and set the speakers up with new speaker wire.....the hiss was still present. I tried the speakers & new speaker wire on an old amp I'm trying to sell....no hiss!!

I thought I was going mad, as this was a new, replacement amp! I looked on the web and found this forum which tells me it is not me, but must be a problem with the amp, so phoned the Sony centre again. They in turn contacted their repair department who in turn contacted Sony direct. They were told there is a fix for this problem.

The Sony centre are replacing it again as it is only days old, but this time with a fully tested unit.

However, I thought I'd comment as it looks like Sony do acknowledge a problem and have a fix for it.

Good luck.

Kevin

14. chirpychips

chirpychips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a brand new black version of the strdb795 yesterday from Superfi. Got it home, plugged in the left and right speakers (nothing else connected) and there it was - a bloody loud buzzing. As others have reported it seems to diminish after a time, or it might just be cloaked by higher volume music. Tried again this morning. Exactly the same. What a waste of my time. It's going back for a refund. I'm not risking it a second time....

15. marts00

marts00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is exactly what happened to me with my 795.I was well sacked off.I watched about 10 films through it and then one day the problem just disappeared????
    The amp is whisper quiet.Very odd.

16. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The 1080 had the same problem, never had any trouble with mine in the 2 years i've had it though.

17. Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying the Sony STRDB795 but these reports are concerning. Has this problem been resolved yet? If I were to buy the Sony STRDB795 tomorrow am I likely to still see this problem?

I'm interested on hear from any people who have just purchased this unit.

I'm also interested in any suggestions on other units that are similar in features in the same price range as the Sony. My main use will be watching DVD's and HD TV.

Thanks

18. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I wouldn't worry about it and go and buy it, its not just sony that has problems.Never had a problem with my amp and people were reporting of buzzing 2 years back.

19. chirpychips

chirpychips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am swapping my buzzing unit for a second one tomorrow at Superfi. I have asked the shop to thoroughly test it before I turn up. My advice would be to listen to the unit before leaving the store. All you need to do is to hook up L+R speakers (no input source required), and turn on. If there is a problem with the unit you will hear it instantly. I wouldn't buy this unit online because if there is a problem you have the hassle of couriers etc.

Shaun

20. chirpychips

chirpychips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, Superfi London have just told me that they have had all their STRDB795 units back - all with the buzzing issue. So it's a refund for me unfortunately. Sony have not replied to my numerous emails. So I am giving up on them.

21. marts00

marts00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine buzzed for about 4-5 mins everytime i switched it on.Now 2-3 weeks later it has stopped entirely.

22. hiwj

hiwj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just setup my new STR-DB795 and get that buzzing sound when I switch on. It is only there when the amp has been off for long periods of time, and will go away after a few minutes.

I've got a Sky+ box and a Sony DVD connected to it. If I unplug either of these the buzzing will go away sometimes. It doesn't matter which one I unplug - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I've tried to connect and earthing cable between their cases and it went away. However, the next time the buzz was back. I've come to the conclusion that it probably has something to do with a build-up of charge in the amplifier together with an earthing problem, but I'm still no closer to fixing it.

This is a great pity, as it is a very good amp otherwise.

23. chirpychips

chirpychips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There may be a "fix" for this from Sony Service - if you're prepared to stick with the unit and get it put right under warranty. But it's a lot of hassle for a product that should have been tested before leaving the factory. I had two faulty units in a row and would be very wary purchasing an STR-DB receiver from Sony again.

I have saved up a bit since then and plan to get either an Onkyo TX-SR702E from a German online store (if I can find one that actually has it in stock - they seem to be hard to find), or a Denon 2805.

Chirpychips

24. aaswift

aaswift
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sony confirmed that a certain number of these units went out with this fault, which appears to be related to the power circuitry.

I bought mine through unbeatable and they gladly exchanged it despite it being three months down the line. The replacement unit came without the fault and all is right with the world.

I hope this helps some of you with existing problems.

25. kwhite01

kwhite01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having my amp replaced for a new one to cure the "buzzing" noise, I now have another problem with it!!!!

When switching it on, not only do I get the buzzing noise, but also the picture seems to have lots of interference. Both dissapear after about 5 minutes of use (until the next time!).

Surely this shouldn't be happening?

26. boob11

boob11
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanksssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

27. kwhite01

kwhite01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phoned my local Sony service centre and explained the problem with my STR-DB795. They said that they had had a bulletin from Sony (I guess this means technical bulletin) stating there were some componants they should change within the amp to cure the buzzing noise.

I took the amp to them and was told it would be 12 working days. About 3 days later it was ready! They had replaced 7 capacitors - dont ask me what it means, but thats what the repair report said.

Took it home, left for an afternoon in the living room to aclimatise, then plugged in just the front speakers and s-video cable to the tv. Turned on and perfect, no interference on screen and no buzzing noise. Left it like this overnight and checked again in morning, fine.

Have now plugged in all speakers and connected my ps2 to the video1 inputs. Again, all fine and dandy, whereas before it was this config that gave problems. When I get time I'll reconnect the rest of my kit (dvd etc).

As the amp is under 3 year warranty from my local Sony centre, the repair was free (which I'd expect anyway, as its essentially a design/manufacture fault that they are rectifying).

If you have this problem, or a similar one, I'd recommend getting in touch with your local Sony Service Centre, or taking it to your Sony Centre and asking them to get it repaired. If they deny all knowledge of the "fix", get them to contact the Sony Service Centre in Barnstaple, Devon (01271 323283).

There is a fix and it works!

Kev :) :) :)

28. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is great news, now we can recommend this amp for everyone who's buying this price class. It surely is among the top three, if not the beefiest amp for this cheap. Top-angebote.de had very good service when I ordered my DB790QS, top class & top price. Sehr gut!

Please spread this info among the owners.

29. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Makes you wonder what else is waiting to go wrong though, doesn't it? I had one of these and it went straight back to Sony Centre for a refund. I didn't want to pay a new product price for a repaired amp!

Glad it seems to be sorted out though. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Did you get a warranty on the repair?

30. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course the original quarantee is valid. Every amp makes a buzzing noise, that's natural. Of course if it's too loud, it disturbs. NAD 743 has the same problem and it's much more expensive. DB790 doesn't have these probs so if you find one, go for it. It's 6.1 and cheaper.