1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STRDB790 Setup ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by csx1, Mar 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. csx1

csx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi
    Well ive just upgraded my old Yamaha DSPA595a to the Sony STRDB790. Read loads of reviews, manuals etc prior to picking this. Anyway got a few problems someone might help me with.

1. Equaliser-I was led to believe from the manual that u could apply this to all speakers. I seem to only be able to do the fronts. Is this correct ? If not how.

2. Ive got a load of DTS 5.1 music disks and it wont decode them. Oh ****. Is this normal.

3. wont stay in 96Khz mode unless i select all speakers to large. (which is not correct)

4. First impressions is poor compared to my old Yamaha. Cant get any clarity out of it. Seems really neutral. So far on day 1 dissapointed. Got my Yamaha for sale at £85 will retract this until ive played a cuple of days.

Wonder if Empire will have it back :confused:

Any help on the above points ?

2. csx1

csx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Update
    Item 2 ive sussed. Had to set DEC to AUTO

On the display window it shows
    DOLBY DIGITAL 3/2.1
    What does that mean ?

3. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sony splits the display format into the front and surround channels ie 3 (front) + 2 (surround) and .1 (sub). It does the same on all types of digital surround encoding : DTS-ES shows as DTS-ES Discrete 3/3.1, vanilla Dolby Digital as 2.0

I had the same problem as 2 when using DTS encoded PS2 games. Took me about 3 days to figure out.

You've gotta love those Sony menus... they confuse me and I've got a Computer Science degree... :D

4. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    In comparison to a Yammy DSPA5 (the 595As replacement), after about a week of running in, the 790 sounds loads better - just be patient and you will be rewarded. I too was a little doubtful at first but the waiting game for the 790 to get rolling properly soon paid off :)

I found cranking the decibel levels of the rear speakers a tad makes a whole load of difference

5. csx1

csx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Um I know speakers take time to run in but I didnt realise amps(electronics) was the same. I find that as time passes you actually get used to the sound footprint and grow to like it. The first initial impression is when the differernces is most distinct ie when you first upgrade your speakers initially you think WOW as you can hear the difference in the upgrade, but after a week you get used to it.

Any way Im still confused by the 96Khz setting being off if I have any speakers set to small (ie my rears). It says its DTS 96/24 on Page 38 of manual. I am shortly receiving a Sony DVD/SACD player and will be wanting to make sure 96Khz is selected as it was the main reason for the upgrade. What is this setting ?
    or does this setting apply to DTS only ?

Confused
    Please help. CSX

6. csx1

csx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well me and my mate (both have had a load of home cinema stuff) have spent all evening playing with this 790 and auditioning the sound.

We have come to the conclusion that the sound is different not necessarily inferior. It deffinatly does not have the clarity of the yamaha and this is most evident on the vocals through the centre Kef q range speaker. The voices have lost there crippness.
    However on the plus side there is definatly a large difference in the channel seperation. we found it quite awesome comapered to our Yamaha amps on this. (I have the DSPA595a he has the one up). The Sony also has a more powerful presence I would say mid range area. It was hughley noticable in LOTR2 and pearl harbour how my Mains cones were doing some massive in out excursions which i rarely seen on my yamaha.

Tomorrow ill put my yamaha back on to see the difference when going back. I believe there will be an immediate improvement in clarity but also a large loss in channel seperation and mid/low range presence. Ill then decide what im gonna do with this Sony.

by the way my mate now wants to get the Sony. I feel i have a better tuned ear to the finner point of sound where as he was impressed with the crash bang wallop effect.

Moving away from Yamaha I will miss the sweetness which comes from my Kefs especially the centre. Ill confirm my thoughts tomorrow.

CSX

I hope all thsi im writing will help others trying to make the same decissions. Through experience i found reviews useless apart from helping with the facilities of an amp. Auditions always sound different in ure own home on ure own kit

7. kiddi

kiddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    give it some time. Mine came alive after about 2 weeks of use. Now it sound superb. Much better than straight out of the box.

8. csx1

csx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Put the yamaha back ontonight......
    and
    Going back from the Sony the following was immediate noticable.
    Bright but hollow. But where the hell has my mid gone.
    As i suspected it there was more clarity but the mid punch and warmth was gone. It was if i had downgraded my speakers to something not as throughty.
    It was also noticable that the channel seperation was not so good.

So. Im sending the silver one back and getting a black Sony STRDB790.

The best way to audition it was what i did. swap over then back again.

If i had a choice i would like the Sony to have all the qualities its got but with a just a little bit more clarity.
    But weighing it all up Sony one wins.
    For now.....
    CSX