1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY STRDB780 - Any Good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by samsuka, Oct 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. samsuka

samsuka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

I am very new to the world of AV and would like some advice. My cd player has just packed up so i want to buy a receiver (i am so new it is only today that i found out what one of these is :blush: ) and plug it into my dvd player and existing Mission SC-M50 speakers (20-50w) but eventually upgrade my speakers to surround sound so i can integrate my nice 36" Sony tv and hifi and so have surround sound as well as play music back nicely.

My dvd, video and tv are all Sony. I was recommended to go for the Sony STRDB790 (about £240 on web), and then possibly the Pioneer S-V40 speakers by Richer Sounds. Is this a good system? Its just for a living room, but i want a good amp so that i can afford good speakers in the future and don't have to replace them. But because i am getting married next year i am on a bit of a budget initially, but want to build up over time.

Is it better if i keep it Sony to integrate it well?

Any help would be great, the lack of music is driving me mad!!

Thanks

Sam

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can't really go wrong with a sony receiver and a set of mission speakers tbh. Although you'll really want to check out the pioneer '812 and some of the yamaha offerings (the latter especially if you like beef apparently).