Sony STRDA1200es problems,pls help!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wilfy, Dec 29, 2006.

Tags:
  1. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I bought one of these from richer sounds on wednesday,I have had a major problem with it.
    When connecting my freeview box to the svideo input on the back, i get the picture dropping in and out,also there is blue band across the screen about halfway down.
    All the svideo inputs on the back do the same,however the video 3 svideo input on the front works ok.
    I tried 3 different cables, no effect, I know the freeview box is ok as i had it connected up to my strdb795qs amp before i bought this one.I even connected up the old amp to check and it works fine with this.
    So thinking the str1200es was faulty, i took it back today and they happily exchanged it for a new one.Got this home,connected it up and yes you guessed it this one does exactly the same thing.
    Unless I can find a resolution to this I will returning it for a refund tomorrow.
    Has anybody got any ideas? I really had high hopes for this amp due to the good reviews, and I am very disappointed .
    Some body please help!!!

2. Smurkenstein

Smurkenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I had a similar problem where the image was scambled and scrolled off the edge of the screen. It was only with the s-video and the 1200es onscreen menu. Bought a brand new s-video cable - problem gone.

Cant understand why two es amps and 3 cables hasn't fixed the issue. S-video isn't great - do you have any other connections options?

3. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The onscreen menu works fine, this is why i am so confused.
    This issue only appears with the freeview box connected to the svideo inputs (Video1,DVD&tvsat)
    I am totally confused by this also.
    I have connected my 795qs back and we are watching freeview via svideo now without any problems at all.
    Could the two amps by from a faulty batch perhaps?
    I have always has sony kit and this is first time I have had any problems at all, can't believe this amp has given me such a problem.
    really disapointed because is sounds excellent, but can't live with the picture problems.

4. Smurkenstein

Smurkenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    What are you inputting into your monitor? Check out page 33 in the manual...could be s-vid or component to the monitor?

/edit ahh double post

5. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Have tried svideo and component and both have the problem I described, the picture just intermitantly disapears and the blue hue across the middle of the screen.

6. Smurkenstein

Smurkenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'd try another s-video source to input, DVD player, video, etc. Sounds like you might have a compatability problem. Can't think why.

7. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I was thinking that, but if the amp is incompatible with something as simple as a freeview box, I dread to think what will happen when I try the HDMI inputs!!
    My confidence in this amp is shaky at best now, I reckon sony have cut corners in the electronics in order to pack in so many features.
    I think I will return it tomorrow and wait a bit, might save up for the 5200ES and hope it is better quality.I have just bought a HS60 projector also and it is excellent, pity this amp lets the side down.