Sony STRDA1200es Major disapointment

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wilfy, Dec 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Just returned the second one of these to Richer sounds, the video switching is completely useless.
    Not only does the picture randomly disapear when using the svideo outputs, there is a blue hue all over the picture.
    I also noticed on the second one, a noticeable difference in picture quality when connecting a dvd player via component and connecting the monitor out component sockets to my display.
    That is the last time I by anything recommended by What hifi!!
    They tested the sound capabilies of this amp but not the video!!By the way I had the same thing with two completely new amps and three different sets of high quality cables.
    My advice to anyone buying one of these would be to get it from a shop that will allow you to test it first!!

2. sunnyb4u

sunnyb4u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmm thanxs for this info

erm i bought the yamaha rx-v359 from richerosunds i have yet to try the 3x component video in and 1x component video out

i wonder how it is going to be as i just use my amp for music and 360 since my 360 i have connected to my monitor via vga

3. sunnyb4u

sunnyb4u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to be honest i have heard the sony 1200es i thought it was great i tested it out at the what hifi show in london

erm i wish i had enough cash to buy one but i wouldnt use svideo as it is crap my bareminimum of video cable down the bottom of my list would be rgb scart then component then vga etc

svideo just gave me headaches when using on me old xbox since it splits the signal the picture quality was always a problem with svideo and i would not touch them with a bargepole hehe

i dont like the weight of this beats as it will shatter my glass stand

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. drljames

drljames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Am running this with a HDMI dvd player, HDMI TV Drive, xbox over component and a dvd recorder over component.. after doing battle with the various assignments no complaints at all. I havent noticed any degradation in picture quality when going thru the amp.

I havent got anything s-video to try though.

5. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Was only using the svideo as it was the the only input left to connect my freeview box to, had the 360 in one component and my dvd in the other.
    The video switching was vital to me as it was to be used it a large room with a HS60 projector and due to the nature of the room all the cables had to go to the amp and then component and HDMI cables to go to the projector.
    But unfortunately the picture just kept dropping in and out,fair play to Richer Sounds by the way they didn't quibble about exchanging the amp first and then giving me a full refund

6. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Due to the size of my projected display (100") the degradation in picture quality stood out like a sore thumb.
    I was wondering if perhaps the 3200 or 5200 were of better quality though??
    I thinking of going for a the Yamaha RX-V1700, I know this is far more expensive, but having just spent so much money on my projector and screen I really want to get the best out of it.