Sony STRDA1200 ES

Dead Cell

Novice Member
Hello all, I hope its ok to post this here as I have started another thread in the hifi and separates section. But the question I have is better suited for this section.

I've been recommended the Sony STRDA1200 ES but I just want to know if I will be able to connect some speakers to it and start blasting away? Or is the Sony STRDA1200 ES only used as a home cinema kit? The speakers are going to be the KEF IQ5.

If it is only used as a home cinema kit, then could someone be kind enough to point me to a normal Sony amplifier? I will need 5.1 for future use and it has to be somewhat powerfull.

There are a lot going for quite cheap on ebay but I'm a complete newbie and dont want to buy one only for it to not work or something!

Any help will be highly appreciated. Cheers.

chic

Hello all, I hope its ok to post this here as I have started another thread in the hifi and separates section. But the question I have is better suited for this section.

I've been recommended the Sony STRDA1200 ES but I just want to know if I will be able to connect some speakers to it and start blasting away? Or is the Sony STRDA1200 ES only used as a home cinema kit? The speakers are going to be the KEF IQ5.

If it is only used as a home cinema kit, then could someone be kind enough to point me to a normal Sony amplifier? I will need 5.1 for future use and it has to be somewhat powerfull.

There are a lot going for quite cheap on ebay but I'm a complete newbie and dont want to buy one only for it to not work or something!

Any help will be highly appreciated. Cheers.
The Sony STRDA1200 ES is adecent amp and you will need speakers to go with it and is not part of a home cinema kit its a separate home cinema receiver and the kefs will connect straight in. And you can add the other speakers for 5.1 when needed. This amp has hdmi in but will only carry video so if you connect any kit via hdmi you will also need to connect an optical cable as well.

Dead Cell

Novice Member
Thanks for getting back to me chic. Glad to hear you think its a decent amp. Since I've got a PS3 I think it makes more sense for me to go for this receiver. Will have to invest in a HD TV real soon but I've not been playing games for a while now so haven't been bothering with it all.

Will nip down to Richers again and see if they have any other options for me. Any other comments or recommendations are very welcome.

Cheers

chic

Thanks for getting back to me chic. Glad to hear you think its a decent amp. Since I've got a PS3 I think it makes more sense for me to go for this receiver. Will have to invest in a HD TV real soon but I've not been playing games for a while now so haven't been bothering with it all.

Will nip down to Richers again and see if they have any other options for me. Any other comments or recommendations are very welcome.

Cheers
if you have the ps3 i would maybe recomend the sony 910 amp, its similar to the 1200, with the added bonus it accept multichannel audio over hdmi. so you will only need 1 cable between the ps3 and amp and you will be able to listen to hd audio such as uncompressed pcm and dolby true hd. If you go for the 1200 you will need to connect a optical cable as well as the hdmi. If the lack of hd audio and having to connect an optical cable as well then the 1200 is a great amp.

Dead Cell

Novice Member
Thanks again chic for your help. I really appreciate it. After hours and hours of browsing and much thinking, I've decided to go for a little mini system. I've got the Teac DRH300DAB in mind http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TEAC-DRH300

It has a USB port which will allow me to connect my hard drive and play wma and mp3 files and since 99% of my music library consists of MP3's I think this is the best option for me. I can rip the few CD's I have using flac or just normal windows media lossless and that should give me a good listening. :thumbsup:

Still would have loved to build a separate system but I just couldnt justify it as I dont have many CD's and it would only end up just lying around gathering dust! For now this will more than serve my needs.

In the future I'll look into buying a Sony AV and a hard drive which will allow me to play music from. The hard drives are quite expensive and not many about that I could find. There's this one here but the price is a bit too much http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-640H-SIL

By the way I've ordered the Kef IQ5 from richers to go with the Teac if I do end up buying it, unless of course I can find a better mini system.

Anyway mate thanks for all your help and if there are any other better mini systems out there with USB ports then :lease: do let me know.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom