1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STRB940 Toslink problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wimberrypie, Feb 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. wimberrypie

wimberrypie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have a Roksan Kandy DVD which Im aslo using as a CD player via an external Musical fidelity DAC. I had been using the digital out from the DVD player for this (also have a Roksan 2 chanel amp for CD), however I bough a toslink cable this morning and connected it to my Sony AV so that I could play DVD's in 5.1 however I get nothing ! ... if I swap the DAC to use optical and return the DVD to digital its fine .. is there a setting on the Amp which I need to set ? .. as Ive lost the instruction book ! .. or am I just thick or maybe I have a problem with optical input on Sont AV amp ? .. I was kind of hoping that the whole thing would sync up and DTS would flow forth :confused:

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    if the amp is on AUTO detect all should work.
    more likely to be a menu on the dvd player you need to enable.

3. wimberrypie

wimberrypie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pj ..I checked that, the digital output is enabled, there is no selction for Analogue or optical so I assume they work in parallel. As the Co axial digital seems to work fine, and that the cable works when I connect the external DAC, Im assuming that the problem is in the Sony AV amp ? .? ..

4. wimberrypie

wimberrypie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... is auto select something I have to enableon the amp, or even manually select with input it will select ? .. if so, Im trying to find out how ? .. cheers

5. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Is the digital input assignable and assigned to another input ?

Mike.

6. wimberrypie

wimberrypie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,

It maybe, Ive played around with the buttons on the front pannel, but cant find any assignment options .. Im connecting the DVD directly to the TC via scart so dont see any on screen set up .. cheers Paul.

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    on the front of the AMP under the flap and next to the 3 phonos
    is a button labeled "input mode" press it until the display says "AUTO INPUT"

the amp then selects optical or coax if there is a signal on either, and drops to phono as a last resort.

I have 2 dvd players connected to the same input channel on my amp, 1 goes to the optical input and the other is connected to the co-ax input. I just turn the player I want to use on, and the amp does the rest.

8. wimberrypie

wimberrypie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PJ - Im just off to give it a try ! .. I suppose if it still isnt working, there maybe a fault on the amp ...

9. wimberrypie

wimberrypie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cracked it .. cheers PJ your a gent ..