Sony STRAD1200ES or Denon AVR-2307??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sharkfist, Jan 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. sharkfist

sharkfist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Looking for some helpful advice on what receiver to purchase for my home theater setup. I will also be using the receiver to listen to regular 2-channel audio (CD's).

My main requirement is to have as few cables runnnig to my LCD TV as possible. My understanding is that the Sony does not video swich and output everything via the HDMI output, where as the Denon does. Is this correct? Is the Denon a better option for this or is the next model up on the Sony side (3200?), which does video swtich and output via HDMI.

Any advice would be appreciated. Please supply any pro's and con's.

Thanks

2. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    The Sony does offer video switching between 2 HDMI sources (2 in 1 out), but does not upconvert analogue to HDMI.

The Denon will upconvert everything to one HDMI cable.

I believe the Sony 3200 will do this also.

Basically the Sony 1200 is a more basic machine.

The Denon and Sony 3200 are more comparable to each other in terms of spec and price (just). It really depends which sound you prefer. I personally prefer the Sony sound, but you may prefer the Denon's.

3. RobbyB

RobbyB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same boat so no real help I'm afraid except after doing the research at the £500.00 amp price point Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo and Denon are all pretty good bets. Personnally I'm also deciding on the Denon 2307 or Sony 3200ES. Both will give upconversion from all inputs to HDMI and then a single HDMI to the TV. I also understand that the 3200 has support for LPCM which will be used for audio with future HD-DVD Blu-Ray disks. I don't really understand too much about this but the Sony will support and I'm trying to find out if Denon does too.

I think it will come down to listening to each but the 3200Es in particular is proving very difficult to find an to listen to. It may come down to gut feel as I believe either will be great units.

Robert

4. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    the 1200 has been had for £299 from RS

5. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: