1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-VA333ES

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by amac, Aug 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. amac

amac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying this bit of kit but it seems odd that the spec is the same, if not better than the more expensive flagship model 555ES.
    Anyone been able to compare the two?
    HiFIBitZ are doing it for £615 with free delivery, seems pretty good to me.:clown:

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    This is true. What’s more, the 555 wasn't as expensive, and had a better spec than, the Sony 777 amp. The 777 is the best AV amp Sony have released thus far, and a fair bit better than the 555. In this vein I should expect the 333 so be inferior to the 555.

Russell

3. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you compared the two side by side??? 777 and 555?

I think a few things need to be cleared up here.

are you talking about the TA-VA777ES vs STR-V555ES or the newer STR-VA555ES?

I agree that the general opinion was that the 777 outperformed the V555ES (have heard a VA777 but not a V555) as well as not having reliability issues of the V555. The only extra that the V555 had was a phantom 6th channel - however the amps were inferior to the 777.

Both of these are from a different generation to the newer VA555 and VA333 amps. These have PL2 ES EX and 6 and 7channels of amplification respectively.

I think it is wrong to say that the 777 is the best when it lacks these newer features. It was a very fine amp (notice no tuner) in its day and perhaps ( ? )would perform favourably in 5 channel stuff againts the newer models *but* I think these things should be pointed out before saying it is better than the new receivers!

FWIW I am still debating which of the VA555ES and VA333ES to go for

they are available for £599.99 and £749.99 from hotkit.co.uk but everywhere seems to have problems getting them in stock. There is a 333 in reading Sony centre if anyone lives near there.

Just my opinion
    Tim

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have listened to the 777 and newer 555, though not in an AB comparison.

In terms of sound quality, the "general opinion" doesn't matter. What matters is what you hear, and to my ears the 777 is better then the new 555. I agree the addition of new features may improve an overall package, but we buy amps and receivers to produce good sound. If an amp has a comparatively poor sound, but has every feature under the sun, then surely the amp to go for is the higher quality one? Admittedly, this is an issue of personal taste. Some may argue that PL2/Neo6/Logic 7 offer superior sound because of their better decoding abilities. Even if the underlying power amplification is found lacking. I fall into the former group, valuing good sound quality over content, and so would choose the 777.

Russell

5. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Russ,

If you prefer the 777 then thats cool ;) it does have a great amplifier stage and is without doubt up there with the best that has come from Sony. It wasn't clear to me from your post which of the 555 you were referring to - I now see you meant the newer VA555ES. Whilst I agree that we do want sound quality from an amp/receiver for the needs of many I would say this includes PL2 - certainly if you are going to watch 2 channel stuff a lot. So I think some new functionality is worth it. Perhaps some may want the 6th channel - although I think the merits of this are less strong in this particular case for various reasons. Of course I would always place pure sonic ability above the number of (imo) pointless DSP effects etc but when it comes down to things that I really *want* then I guess you end up in the land of compromise. Isn't an integrated amp already sort of a compromise...

Unfortunately ppl buy according to different criteria some buy according to a demo with their own ears, some because they take What Hifi as gospel and some will do it on the specs - i.e. its got more bells whistles etc, therefore Ill buy that - these things certainly give salesmen something to preach about.