1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR VA333ES

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paiger, Aug 12, 2002.

Tags:
  1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know when this is out in the UK? QED are listing them but I assume they are German models. It looks like a nice piece of kit if it's up to the 555's standard.

By the way, is anyone aware of any difference between UK and European amps? It used to be the case that they were tuned slightly differently and that UK amps sounded a little crisper.

S

2. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They are released already!

The Sony centre in Reading has one in stock that I demoed briefly yesterday - as well as a 1080. The VA333ES looked the part and sounded good - but you could tell it was not well set up. I forgot to check the connections on the back to see if it will do component switching as I am looking for this.

Apparently the VA555ES is discontinued and they reckon they can get no further stock??? First I have heard of this though

BTW the Sony Centre RRP is £799.99 so I would hope that it will be available for a shade under £700 on the net soon.

Tim

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, OK. Maybe I'll go check it out. All I want is an AV amp that has DD,DTS and DPL2 that works well in movies but very well for music, 2ch and multi. Not sure what to go for. I tried a 3802 and to be honest was not blown away. May try the AV11SR but it's a bit more than I want to spend. This is supposed to be a temporary measure before I get serious (Tag).

S

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    See Arcam AVR200. Good for films, lovely with music. Has all extras YOU need. Denon sound flat in stereo in comparison IMO, I demoed them both. I bought one and love it. Bit of a bugger to set up, but sounds great right out of the box, if that isn't a contradiction in AV terms:rolleyes:

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I was looking at one of them the other day. Very smart too. HCC didn't seem to think much of it in their review though. I think I'll see if I can demo one alongside the 333.

S

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You've probably spotted EmpireDirect have Arcam AVR-200 @ £595, latest DPL2 version.

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Faeces!!!!! I paid £800 6 weeks ago! Arghhhh! Still, won't be giving it up any time soon.

8. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    FYI

I just spoke to Sony because after visitng their website it did not seem that the VA555ES was discontinued. I had been on the verge of buying one after being very impressed with it *and* under pressure to have all matching kit from you know who!

Sony now say that it (555) is not discontinued and is still the flagship model, the 333 is one model down.

So I ventured back to the Sony centre and asked them what the differences were.

As far as I can see the only difference was the 7th channel of amplification on the new model. I questioned whether the amplifiers were the same and they reckon that the 555ES is more powerful - but from all the tech specs I have seen they are both quoted as driving 100W into 8 ohm @ 0.05% THD and 90W into 4 ohm @ 0.09% THD??? It is not light at 21kg either. I wonder if they have saved money elsewhere or it has become cheaper to produce? Oh the remote is also different, still a learning two way but more angular design.

There may be fewer connections (no preamp outs for rear channels?etc) did not have time to check but it has component inputs that I want. I am considering biding my time for this amp to be priced at £600 and buying then.

Best prices I have seen so far

STR-VA333ES £679.99 @ avland
    STR-VA555ES £699.99 @ RobertWhyte

Tim

9. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The old model is discontinued (DD 5.1 + DTS only)and is 'apparently' available at Richer Sounds for £249

Bargain if you can get one

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Isn't that Sony STR-V555ES not the newer 6.1 STR-VA555ES.
    The STR-VA333ES doesn't replace the model above.

The new version of STR-VA555ES is a euro-spec version of STR-DA7ES, seven speaker outs, and video conversion, not due here until October at earliest. Will it be as good anyway?

11. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think that's what he's saying anyway isn't it??

Sorry for being picky... ;)

Kelvin

12. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I do know what I am talking about honest! It just doesn't always seem that way.

I did actually correct myself in a later post.

The Sony centre DID say that the STR-VA 555ES was being discontinued. However I checked myself with Sony and found this was not the case!.

What I would really like to know is the differences between the 555 and 333 other than those I have metioned, where has that £200 ben saved?

Tim

13. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it's just cheaper because that's the trend. They'll have a hard job justifying the 555 price though. Check out the 705 and 905 DVD players. Same or better than 700 and 900 but about half the price!

I'm going to try a 333 though, looks like just what I need.

S

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not at all.......you are absolutely right :) .