Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony STR VA333ES

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dr Cheese, Aug 6, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Dr Cheese

Dr Cheese
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello peeps, I'm new around these parts so be nice!!!

Anyhoo, have been reading these forums for a while now (great place btw) and have heard nothing mentioned about this upcoming mystery machine.

Anyone know anything? There are some rumours floating around -it will have seven channels of amplification, more power and yet its going to be cheaper than the STR VA555ES....

So where's the catch?? What have they removed??? All the decoding functions are meant to remain, so what am i missing?

I'm angling for my virgin HC purchase sometime in September, and have my sights set on the Sony VA555ES, but if they're releasing a better (??) version that will retail cheaper then i'll start looking at that instead....

Cheers guys

:D

2. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm not sure how accurate the info is but take a look at www.avland.co.uk for more details

3. Dr Cheese

Dr Cheese
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that!

I still don't see anything that would make the thing cheaper than the VA555ES. Everything avland lists (to my eyes at least) is an improvement over the VA555ES - extra channel of amplification, a touch more power, learning remote etc.

So why is it listed as £180 cheaper??? I have to be missing something. Like.... its the French version and only accepts really strange shaped inputs/outputs.... or maybe it only comes in day-glo pink.....

4. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to be honest I don't understand SOny's pricing either.

I'm waiting for the str-db1080 which replaces the 1070, and I've seen on the same website the 1070 listed for over £100 more than the 1080!

I think it might be because you can't get them. The 1080 won't be available until the end of the month, but I'm not holding my breath!

5. SonyDVDMaster

SonyDVDMaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 1080 is cheaper because it costs less to produce products each year they are released. sonys dvd players the DVP-NS300 came out at about £250 - £300 and the replacement model the DVP-NS305 is £180 ish. The prices change with the price of the cost of the products and the changes in pricing trends in the market, if sony brought out there entry level DVD player at £250 -£300 they would never sell one.

A video recorder 5 years ago cost about £400ish now no more than £200.

It makes sense to me

6. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand the principle of reduced cost through improve tech. and increased volume,

However, I would have thought that Sony would want a receiver at £400 and would therefore put as much as they could into for that price, otherwise where would it end? The str-db1110 at £110?

I suppose I'm being to simplistic oh well. I'm not complaining that the prices are coming down. I want to buy one of these!!

My problem is I can't get one - - - - - - Now!

-

-

Tough

7. rmcphail

rmcphail
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought you would like to know that the remote on the 333 is not 2 way as the man from Sony jusy told me,and as i have found out over the weekend...