1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-LV500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NeilMcRae, Aug 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    anyone know anything about this new amplifier.

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Picked one of these up from the new Sony Centre in TCR, London.
    Its a great simple 5.1 reciever. I needed a slimline unit for my second [small] room setup, it doesn't have the pre-outs I needed but I've figured away around that. Features Dolby, DTS, D ProLogic 1 and 2. Has 3 optical ins- one out for a MD/HDD recorder. one coax in for DVD also. Takes composite video in for TV, Video and DVD but I'm not using that. Has these wierd speaker connectors that are like 10BaseT connectors that I wasn't sure of at first but seem to be not a bad idea [they have done this to keep the size small]. Has a subwoofer pre-out [mono] Has the usual Sony DCS settings for cary grant/kim novak etc having only front two speakers at the moment they are actually not as bad as I expected for getting a virtual surround sound going. This setup is mostly for a games/console room. I bought Mission m30's to go with it and they are a good combo. Looking at MS centre and sub though as the Mission centre is ugly.

Sound wise its great for the choir like ahhahahh in Halo, struggles a little for heavy bass on some of the explosion sound effects [but as the speakers are small don't think it helps]. Bon Jovi Live is very crisp treble wise and I couldn't find a volume level that sounded bad but this isn't a good choice for music lovers in my view. Compared to my Sony 930 this amp loses it on deep bassy like sounds, but not sure if thats speaker related. When I get a sub hooked up I'll add comments then. But for 250 quid if you need a smallish amp then compare this with the Pioneer one. I felt this was stronger with the speakers I chose.

Regards,
    Neil.

3. jonandtania

jonandtania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am contemplating buying this amp but really want something "thin" that will replace my existing Marantz integrated amp and provide decoding for my Sony NVS300.

Can you tell me how many Audio inputs this amp has?
    Will it accommodate my tape deck?

Or should I be looking to invest elsewhere?
    I have £300 to £400 to spend.

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You could use the MD loop through for tape thats on it.

It has 3 optical ins, 1 out, 2 coax in [shared with one of the opticals for DVD]
    4 other audio ins, MD, TV/Sat, DVD,Video, one out for the MD.

I think its a great amp for the cash.

Regards,
    Neil.

5. jonandtania

jonandtania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Neil.

In the end I've decided to go for the Sony HTSL55 and keep my old amp and speakers for the tape deck. I'm sure I can hook it all up somehow :)

6. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hi Neil

Was looking at this amp too. What are 10BaseT connectors you describe for the speaker connections. I prefer the look of this to the Pioneers and was considering getting 1 to match the new Hard Drive recorder when that comes out.

Are you happy with the sound, any quirks? Remote any good?

7. jonandtania

jonandtania

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically, instead of having post connectors or spring clips, the speaker cables are terminated with what looks like an ethernet network plug (like you plug into your pc) and the amp has sockets like the wall ports for a network connection.

Hope that helps

8. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Ah, like their all one in ones. So how do you connect your own speaker cables though, does the amp come with connectors?? Or do you have to use the ones supplied (if so what lengths are they)?

9. Masha

Masha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Would be interested in the answer of the above question if anyone has it, I have wires already put under my carpet and was thinking of getting this reciever.

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It has two screw binding posts on the "ethernet style connectors". I'm using QED aniversary and its find with this.

Neil.

11. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    yes, make sure you don't lose the adaptors- it would have been nice of Sony to have supplied 1 or 2 as spares cos u really are lost without them.

not a bad amp though- they do a matching dvd player- dvdpls500 and hard disc recorder- harl500 for a nice looking and sounding system

power output is a bit on the low side though- the Mordaunt Short 300 series are a bit of a tough load so i'd look at Mission FS1/FS2 and maybe the Tannoy FX5.1

12. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm using mission for l+r front and back and a MS 304 [?] centre and its a superb combination for this amp. My only "annoyance" with this amp is that it has no pre-amp out wihch would have made it perfect for me, other than that its fantastic.

13. Masha

Masha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I was planning on getting the Sony VS500H speakers.