1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STR-KSL5 - can't find any info! Alternative recommendations?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by FlimsyFeet, Nov 14, 2003.

Tags:
  1. FlimsyFeet

FlimsyFeet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am looking to upgrade my old Pro-logic system to a full 5.1 setup, and want to do it fairly cheaply. Also want to replace the big black boxes on brackets attached to the wall with little silver ones (on stands?) to please the wife. :D

I would like to have 2 digital inputs to connect my DVD player, and if possible the output from my PC to play games in 5.1 on the TV. Also want to connect the analogue audio outputs from both my VCR and my ntl set top box to get DPL sound.

At first I thought I'd go for the Acoustic Solutions DS533 package from Argos. But I was then put off because it has only one pair of phono sockets (so the STB would have to go through the VCR - not a biggie) and it doesn't seem very powerful.

(There is a more powerful system DS1233, but again it doesn't seem to have many features.)

At Richer Sounds, they have a Sony STR-KSL5, which I could combine with the Sony SP-SL5 speaker package for a total of £249.90. This is tempting mainly because of the "Sony" brand name, but - I can't find any information about these models! (Tried searching Sony's website, obviously, and the AV Forums hardware reviews, but no results found)

so:
    - can anyone point me in the direction of technical information or online reviews of this system?
    - is there anyone reading this who has this combination, and if so, can you give me your opnions on it?
    - can anyone recommend an alternative package that might be suitable for me, say under £250?

Thanks!

2. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've tried to find information on the sony receiver as well, nothing so far.

I've heard good things about the Pioneer VSXC100.

As for speakers, maybe you could have a look at the Eltax Spectrum Speaker Package.

Just bought myself an Eltax sub(awaiting delivery) but I've heard good things about Eltax speakers.

Or perhaps you could go down the seperate route which is what I am doing right now. Visit the classified ads forum on here, maybe get some second hand stuff? Can get some great bargains there!

3. FlimsyFeet

FlimsyFeet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, after a bit more searching, it seems that the STR-KSL5 and the SP-SL5 (that Richer Sounds sell separately) together make up a package called the HT-SL5, which some people on here have said good things about.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55908

Unfortunately it looks like I missed out on the Sony HT-K25 package, a similar thing but without the tuner, which was recently selling at empire-direct for £160ish. :(