Question Sony STR-HD540 HDMI 2.2

According to your RS link it does not as there are no number in brackets.

HDMI
Number of HDMI inputs/outputs. Number that will accept HDCP 2.2 is in brackets. This is the standard required for Ultra HD Blu-ray 4 in/1 out

That's what I feared.

So why does it say 4K? This is what's confusing me.. I have a Denon AVR-X2300W in my basket on Amazon but I don't want to pull the trigger until I have finalised that I need to.

I suspect this is a 4K pass thru only. The HDMI ports need to be HDMI2.0 and support HDCP2.2
If this prior to 2015 it most likely does not have those options.

The sony 540 , from 2013, is one of the many many devices that jumped the gun and claimed 4K compatibility before the specs were finalised.
It will only pass through 4K ( 4096 x 2160 which is what everyone "assumed" 4K would be back then) and has no HDCP 2.2.

Note : HDCP 2.2 is what you meant , this is the content protection system for UHD. There is no HDMI 2.2 yet!

UHD turned out to be 3840 x 2160 and is protected by HDCP 2.2.
Any amp you buy needs to support this resolution with that version of HDCP , download the pdf manuals and search the document for those terms to check for support.

So, in short , that Sony is not compatible with any of the UHD/ 4K formats that actually turned out to exist in the end.
Its only good up to 1080p, thats it.

Last edited:
The sony 540 , from 2013, is one of the many many devices that jumped the gun and claimed 4K compatibility before the specs were finalised.
It will only pass through 4K ( 4096 x 2160 which is what everyone "assumed" 4K would be back then) and has no HDCP 2.2.

Note : HDCP 2.2 is what you meant , this is the content protection system for UHD. There is no HDMI 2.2 yet!

UHD turned out to be 3840 x 2160 and is protected by HDCP 2.2.
Any amp you buy needs to support this resolution with that version of HDCP , download the pdf manuals and search the document for those terms to check for support.

So, in short , that Sony is not compatible with any of the UHD/ 4K formats that actually turned out to exist in the end.
Its only good up to 1080p, thats it.

So should I go with the Denon? Seems to have everything I need... For now it's really only for my PS4 Pro

Denon 2300 is this years model and fully certified for UHD on all ports , so yes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom