Sony STR-DN840 vs 1040 on-screen graphics

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by futureal33, Jan 31, 2014.

Tags:
  1. futureal33

futureal33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Afternoon all,

I recently purchased a Sony STR-DN840 from Richer Sounds, and while I love the system... I am somewhat disappointed by the very basic on screen GUI.

I am using it mainly to stream music from my phone via UPNP (Bubble UPNP) to the receiver. I am disappointed mainly in the lack of on-screen information and art that is transmitted. Resulting in a very DOS looking screen, with black background and plain white text.

I also own a WDTV Live (DLNA) player which my phone can also stream to via UPNP and this receives the cover artwork for the music, and various other bits of information in a much prettier display.

I believe the Sony STR DN 1040 has improved GUI... Im just wondering if this is something where it is improved upon?

Likewise for Airplay.... the screen looks exactly the same "DOS like" with basically no info and art etc. Just wondering again is the 1040 is any different here?

Thanks!

2. john316

john316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    1040 has a proper looking OSD. Much improved on the dreadful one used on the 840 and other older Sony amps.