Sony STR DN840 - Power failure *Green Light*

Schlaag

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone got one of these AV amps and have you had any problems powering it up?

Recently it hasn't always powered up from the remote nor the power button on the unit.
After a few goes it tends to fire into life.

Now as of today, the power LED remains green but the unit doesn't start.

I've unplugged , held the power put-on to reset etc... but nothing. Just a green LED and the rest of the unit is dead.

It's from Richer Sounds, I took a 5 year warranty but it's still not even 5 months old!

I've heard of red lights of death, but not green!

Hi Schlaag,

I ran into the same issue. I found I can get it to work when:
  1. I leave my amp on with the green light on (but nothing else seems to be working)
  2. I pull out the HDMI cable from the HDMI output on the back - the cable that goes from the amp to the TV.
  3. I wait a second, there is a clicking sound and then the amp seems to come back to life. The front display works.
  4. I can plug the HDMI cable back in to the amp output.
One thought, if you are getting the "green light" issue without a HDMI cable plugged into the output port, try plugging one in and then powering up the amp. Once it is on, I know pulling the HDMI from the output seems to work. Like you a reset doesn't work, nothing else seems to.

I have turned off all HDMI "features" but still get the issue intermittently. I also have the latest 2014 firmware installed. I'll log a support ticket with Sony too.

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for the info mate. I took the amp back and exchanged for a different model Sony in the end. Definitely a problem with the HDMI input switching

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom