Sony STR-DN1080 with a Pro-Ject Elemental Turntable

Jamin280672

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, ive had a Sony STR DN1080 for sometime now, its the older version without the phono inputs, however ive just started getting back into vinyl and purchased a Pro-ject Elemental record player from Amazon, however after doing a little homework, I also purchased a Pro-ject pre amp for it (2 days before the record player arrived), only to find out that the record player that amazon sent me was the elemental USB which comes with a built in phono stage, so my question is:

First of all, I take it I dont need the pre-amp I brought separately and I can simply return that ?

Second: As my STR-DN1080 doesnt have a phono input im using the video input (audio side not video side) however, what do I do with the Ground / earth wire coming off the turntable ? as my 1080 doesnt have anywhere to screw this into.

Hi & welcome.

Nope don't need the stage anymore. Yup use any line level input. Some AV's you might need to assign it in setup. As to the earth try not doing anything, if there's no hum then great. If there is try clipping it to a vent on the AV.

Hi & welcome.

Nope don't need the stage anymore. Yup use any line level input. Some AV's you might need to assign it in setup. As to the earth try not doing anything, if there's no hum then great. If there is try clipping it to a vent on the AV.

Hi thank you for this, I was getting just a tiny bit of hum so what ive done to get around it is just loosened one of the screws to the casing on the back of the AV and attached the earth wire to that, it seems to have done the trick.

Thank you for your help and I hope this thread will help someone else out in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom