Answered Sony STR DN1080- wife won't let me....

leswy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi.... I setting up new system and the wife wont let me have rear speakers so I can't do 5:1.......I have a Sony 1080 on the way and I'm not sure if 3:1 can be configured? ....Ive got away with front, centre and sub speakers.....

I can see from the manual that you can set 5:1 as a choice in the speaker config menu....but I dont see 3:1 ....so I'm concerned that I'll have to set the 1080 to 5:1 and the system will just "miss out" the sound being sent to the rear speakers that I don't have.!

Any help, advice much appreciated.....

Hi.... I setting up new system and the wife wont let me have rear speakers so I can't do 5:1.......I have a Sony 1080 on the way and I'm not sure if 3:1 can be configured? ....Ive got away with front, centre and sub speakers.....

I can see from the manual that you can set 5:1 as a choice in the speaker config menu....but I dont see 3:1 ....so I'm concerned that I'll have to set the 1080 to 5:1 and the system will just "miss out" the sound being sent to the rear speakers that I don't have.!

Any help, advice much appreciated.....
Just have your wife at the back of the room making sound effects when watching a film lol:rotfl: then tell her this is why you need rear speakers.

I think you would ok using a 3.1 set up, I'm sure you can down mix the track when watching a film.

Next time she buy's or asks for more tat/candles and other bric-a-brac to put on fire places etc just say no until you get your speakers.

If it had an auto setup. It will notice there are no rear speakers. If not I'm sure you can configure the speakers manually on all modern processors!

I was running 3.1 for ages on my Yamaha rx-a1040 which is a free years old. And before that on my lexicon DC-1 which was ancient! Both handle speaker configuration allowing me to specify which speakers I have.

Good luck.

Get a new wife, problem solved!

you can attempt to create your own speakers......if you make enough of a mess you will probably get a pair of speakers...lol:laugh: or end up in the doghouse :(

There is an option for Front Surround that aims to create a surround effect using the front speakers. I'd have thought that Dolby Surround and DTS would both use the available speakers to create as good a sound field as your speaker set up can deliver.

You will still get a significantly better sound from your set up than you will from the tv speakers.

Just grow a pair and tell the wife you MUST have rear speakers and that is the way of the world :D.

(I think the marriage vows include a clause that she agrees to obey you anyway, so she can't argue)

Just grow a pair and tell the wife you MUST have rear speakers and that is the way of the world :D.

(I think the marriage vows include a clause that she agrees to obey you anyway, so she can't argue)
Obey was taken out years ago. You have to resort to bribery. Works for me.:smashin:

If you go for small lifestyle speakers like the KEF T Series they can look pretty good on a wall even in a 5.1.

Cambridge audio minx min12 really small speakers

Thank you to all for your replies.....Amp arrived today and thankfully it does have the 3:1 option and the front surround setting so all good...(0:
....may try to go for the ceiling speakers at some point.....for now.... boy I am in big trouble for the Monitor Audio Bronze 6 fronts...!!

Cambridge audio minx min12 really small speakers
Plus one for these.
Have them on the CA stand and on its lowest height setting they just peep over the top of the cabinets we have either side of the sofa.
Happy to send a pic if you want.

D8B500A8-A451-4FD1-8259-63346C3E8C20.jpeg 0355745D-1956-4BAC-BF29-54F988771791.jpeg 271B3CEF-3126-4109-AD01-CBEA34704C65.jpeg
thanks ...yes please for pic.....!
Pics of both rear speakers.
Also included one of the front view (excuse the dog) so your wife can see she’s not the only one who has to live with someone who’s only concern in life is giving her the best possible AV exprerience
Just realised mine are the minx 21, twice the size of the ones mentioned in previous post by dion6

..great cheers for the photos....will suggest these and see how I go..!....failing that yep...I’ll resort to assuming the marriage vows include did include “obey”...!........

I'd love floorstanders, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon. One day...

I find the promise of a trip to my wife's favourite jewellery store a sure way of securing any cinema upgrades ;)

Thank you to all for your replies.....Amp arrived today and thankfully it does have the 3:1 option and the front surround setting so all good...(0:
....may try to go for the ceiling speakers at some point.....for now.... boy I am in big trouble for the Monitor Audio Bronze 6 fronts...!!

Always better to seek forgiveness than permission with the Wahmens.

Nothing a new handbag can't fix :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom