Sony STR-DN1080 owners thread...

Dixie4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I received my new Sony STR-DN1080 AVR, last Friday ( Care of Sevenoaks, whom i haven't used before....but a fantastic delivery service, received within 24 hrs. )
My initial impressions since, absolutely thrilled ! It caters for all my needs. ( I've recently purchased a new ( my first ) 4K TV & 4K player. ) The only thing i don't presently have are Dolby Atmos speakers, but hopefully will address that, sooner, rather than later.
Set up as per usual with Sony products was straight forward, although i will never understand all the settings, and best usage of ?
I love Hi Res audio & the playback on this AVR is fantastic. ( DSD Native, which sounds sublime, as they say, "hear the artist as intended". Just like they're in the room. )
There isn't anything that i'm disappointed with, at this point. I think my visual & audio needs are set up for along time....well that's until tecnology invents the next best thing !

Last edited:
I received my new Sony STR-DN1080 AVR, last Friday ( Care of Sevenoaks, whom i haven't used before....but a fantastic delivery service, received within 24 hrs. )
My initial impressions since, absolutely thrilled ! It's caters for all my needs. ( I've recently purchased a new ( my first ) 4K TV & 4K player. ) The only thing i don't presently have are Dolby Atmos speakers, but hopefully will address that, sooner, rather than later.
Set up as per usual with Sony products was straight forward, although i will never understand all the settings, and best usage of ?
I love Hi Res audio & the playback on this AVR is fantastic. ( DSD Native, which sounds sublime, as they say, "hear the artist as intended". Just like they're in the room. )
There isn't anything that i'm disappointed with, at this point. I think my visual & audio needs are set up for along time....well that's until tecnology invents the next best thing !

Hi ... what speakers are you looking at? I'm thinking of hooking this up to a Sony ZD9 or A1

Hi ... what speakers are you looking at? I'm thinking of hooking this up to a Sony ZD9 or A1

I haven't upgraded my speakers. They are Sony speakers (SS-MS366T ) about 13 years old, but they do a decent job, after all these years.....

I will have to look into buying some Dolby Atmos speakers, at some point.

Last edited:
Replaced a Pioneer VSX1131 at work with the DN1080 in our "small demo room" (connected to B&W MT50 pack + CCM362 in ceilings for Atmos) and think this is a more detailed, punchier receiver.

I got a new 4k hdmi cable from tescos (I know) booted ps4pro and amp and tv switched on fine. Tried hustle kings then horizon and 4k worked fine as well as HDR, it also sounded great.
Then I put star wars on which is not hdr, the screen went blank with no supported signal message.
The only way to get a picture on the ps4pro again is to put the amps hdmi settings back to standard from enhanced.

Now I get no picture, but still sound with amp hdmi set to enhanced. What baffles me is it worked fine straight away but switching to non hdr game somehow upset the whole thing.

My only conclusion is that the hdmi may be 4k compatible but not fast enough to handle 4k and HDR.

Does anyone have a Link to a hdmi that can definitely handle 4k and HDR? Or does anyone have an idea what the issue could be?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Update: tried Amazon cable and same issue as before.
It will work, then won't work, then will work with a snowy picture before going off again. It may or may not come back on.

I've bought two high speed cables now and have ordered a third. Also requested Sony Support so will see what they say.

I tried the cable from the tv directly into the pro but that is totally fine as well.

For now I suppose I shall have to play with hdmi set to standard format on the amp. The sound is superb...if I'm looking for the positive in this

Tried a third cable, no joy. Blank screen but will occasionally come on before going off again.
It's now with Sony customer services. Really don't think it's a cable issue, probably a firmware fix

Does it pass through 1080p video with 4:4:4 colour encoding?

From reading the manual / tech specs SONY are a bit vague and only mention 4K with 4:4:4 colour when you configure the HDMI output for 4K.

I sometimes hook my PC up to my TV for gaming using an HDMI cable. My TV is only 1080p but I will probably upgrade to 4K at some point and add some ATMOS speakers.

Thanks.

How does the "virtual speaker" and speaker moving thing work ?

Had mine a couple of weeks,still trying to work out the best way to set it up. I sometimes hear very little from the rears, and at other times. their is sound. I'm guessing it's to do with the surround content on whatever I'm watching. It's not as easy to navigate as my previous Yamaha. The time it takes to do anything after you press a button is quite annoying ,hope that's fixed with a software update. Had a problem Casting and using Airplay when it was WiFi connection only. Switching to a wired connection seems to have solved that. As for the virtual speaker thing I have it enabled but so far have not noticed any additional effects. Mind you i'm only using it with TV programs Amazon & Netflix. haven't tried a Blu-Ray yet.

Similar challenge as killie77.

Currently using a 5.1 set up with SKY Q/Netflix/Amazon etc. and have played around with Neural X and Dolby Surround (which i prefer). Often, there is very little or indeed no audio from the surrounds when you might expect there to be. Must be down to the source/format of the audio and how it's being processed/decoded although not really had the opportunity to experiment.

However, when it does kick it, it's very impressive - much wider sound field which i believe is down to the virtual speaker setting (type b). Also very good with audio via Spotify.

Replaced a Pioneer VSX1131 at work with the DN1080 in our "small demo room" (connected to B&W MT50 pack + CCM362 in ceilings for Atmos) and think this is a more detailed, punchier receiver.

Coming from a VSx 1131 myself does the sony phantom surround work and the speaker positional movement?
Also any other differences since you have been listening to 1080?
Also have you noticed slow response to remote inputs?

Thank you in advance

Coming from a VSx 1131 myself does the sony phantom surround work and the speaker positional movement?
Also any other differences since you have been listening to 1080?

Thank you in advance

We don't use the phantom surround mode, the surrounds are actually quite far back (long-ish, narrow rectangular room with seats facing forward and backward (2 setups, one at each end, the Sony HT-ST5000 being the other setup) so the surrounds end up being as far away as the fronts are.

It does seem more detailed to my ears with good positioning of sound around the room.

We use Control4 to control it, haven't noticed any issues using that.

We don't use the phantom surround mode, the surrounds are actually quite far back (long-ish, narrow rectangular room with seats facing forward and backward (2 setups, one at each end, the Sony HT-ST5000 being the other setup) so the surrounds end up being as far away as the fronts are.

It does seem more detailed to my ears with good positioning of sound around the room.

We use Control4 to control it, haven't noticed any issues using that.
Excellent cheers for the info on the receiver sounds good.
Also i know this isnt a denon thread but have you heard the x2300 in relation to 1080 ?
If so thoughts please.
Many thanks to you again

Excellent cheers for the info on the receiver sounds good.
Also i know this isnt a denon thread but have you heard the x2300 in relation to 1080 ?
If so thoughts please.
Many thanks to you again

The what HiFi review of the STRDN1080 makes direct comparisons between the receiver and the Denon AVRX2400:

Some of that solidity and dynamic subtlety is missing from the Sony’s current arch-rival, the Denon AVR-X2400H. The Sony is demonstrably more detailed, offering a bigger scale of sound with more grunt, drive and low-end depth than the Denon can muster. The new Denon sounds a little delicate next to Sony’s more robust character.

Sony STR-DN1080 review

Looks like the Sony is better although coming from what hi fi you never know.
Thank you though for reply.
Have you heard the sony personally?

Looks like the Sony is better although coming from what hi fi you never know.
Thank you though for reply.
Have you heard the sony personally?

I've no personal experience of the SRDN1080.

and I've no experience of the Denon.

Well cheers for respective comments on both receivers.

Regarding speaker placement with sony does it really realign the sound if speaker is slightly out of position or atmos ceiling speakers sound needs to go forward more..?

The time it takes to do anything after you press a button is quite annoying ,hope that's fixed with a software update.

I have the 2014 DN1050 and the 2017 DN1080 and strangely the DN1080 UI is noticeably slower.
Looks like Sony put a slower CPU inside to spare on production costs or energy consumption.

That's a bit irritating as you would expect that a newer high-tech device is more "powerful" than an older one in the same price range.

As I also still have my old TV, I can try to make a side-by-side comparison video within the next weeks.

I have the 2014 DN1050 and the 2017 DN1080 and strangely the DN1080 UI is noticeably slower.
Looks like Sony put a slower CPU inside to spare on production costs or energy consumption.

That's a bit irritating as you would expect that a newer high-tech device is more "powerful" than an older one in the same price range.

As I also still have my old TV, I can try to make a side-by-side comparison video within the next weeks.

Bad news if its slower etc.
How does it sound next to old model?
Cheers

Similar challenge as killie77.

Currently using a 5.1 set up with SKY Q/Netflix/Amazon etc. and have played around with Neural X and Dolby Surround (which i prefer). Often, there is very little or indeed no audio from the surrounds when you might expect there to be. Must be down to the source/format of the audio and how it's being processed/decoded although not really had the opportunity to experiment.

However, when it does kick it, it's very impressive - much wider sound field which i believe is down to the virtual speaker setting (type b). Also very good with audio via Spotify.

How high does the sound go when this is used with Sky Q ?.
It might sound like a strange question but I've just brought a Sony BDV E4100 and the sound doesn't go very high so I'm thinking of buying the STR DN 1080 In the hope I can blast out some very loud music {I live in a detached house -).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom