Sony str-dn1080 or Denon AVR3600 - advice needed 🙏

lj76

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. First-time poster here and hoping for some much-needed advice. I'm upgrading my home cinema setup which currently comprises of a panny 58dx902b, pioneer vsx-1131 avr and kef t1 series surrounds. My room is around 23' long and about 11' deep. Tv set up is centrally located on the wall in a conventional 5.1 with my rear kef t101s on stands.

I am looking to upgrade to a LG65c9 as well as upgrading my avr. I also plan to upgrade to t301s for the front centre/LR. My components are sky q and ps4 (soon to be ps5). Main viewing is netflix and amazon TV. I prefer listening to music on a dedicated speaker rather than via the avr.

In the future I'd like to add a pair of atmos ceiling speakers but the lighting setup in my new build makes this awkward for placement.

I'm torn between the Sony str-dn1080 and the pricier denon avr-x3600. My budget could, at a push extend to the 4500 but in the case of both denons, is the extra justifiable? I know this question has been asked more than once, but will I notice a significant difference in sound quality between the Sony and either denon.

Any comments or views would be really appreciated.

The Denon X3600 is a tier above the Sony. The Sony is limited to 7.1 or 5.1.2 and has problems with DTS:X. The Denon is capable of 5.1.4 out of the box and a full 7.1.4 with the use of an external power amp. The Denon also has a superior room correction system in Audyssey XT32. I would not consider the Sony over the X3600, the competitor for the Sony would be the seven channel X2600.

The Denon X3600 is a tier above the Sony. The Sony is limited to 7.1 or 5.1.2 and has problems with DTS:X. The Denon is capable of 5.1.4 out of the box and a full 7.1.4 with the use of an external power amp. The Denon also has a superior room correction system in Audyssey XT32. I would not consider the Sony over the X3600, the competitor for the Sony would be the seven channel X2600.

Thanks so much for your reply. This might be a silly question but with my setup I presume I'd experience quite a difference between the X3600 and my old Pioneer VSX-1131? I was advised a little while back that my old Pioneer will still fare very well against current AVRs in a similar range but presumably the likes of the denon are a clear improvement on a four year old Pioneer like mine?

I would say that the X3600 will have an edge of the Pioneers performance. Taking both units launch prices the X3600 would be double that of the Pioneer, a player that I would pitch against the X2600 and Sony DN1080. Within your room it could be the superior Audyssey XT32 that makes the difference. The 3600 is also more powerful and again has more channels available out of the box.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom