Sony str-dn1080 low level or no sound

NickLi

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I apologize for the long text but I got a problem with my amp that is driving me crazy. I got recently new speakers the Dali oberon 5 5.1 speaker package and I connected them with my sony str-dn1080 amp. I used the callibration process and everything worked well.

After watching a movie with 5.1 sound or playing with playstation, if I turn it off and after a couple of minutes turn it on again, randomly one or 2 speakers either front or center will get very low on level or no sound at all. I run the test tone on the menu and you can hear clearly that there is no sound or it will be very low on level compared to others.

I sent it to service but they couldn't find anything. Once I got it back I factory reset all my devices meaning my Lg oled Cx tv, the amp and the playstation. I connected only the tv to the amp in order to narrow down where is the problem. I setup my tv and then I turn on the amp and I run the setup process. After the callibration has finished I have all the options on the sound settings and hdmi settings to off as I don't want them to tell me that the issue is because something of them is activated.

I started first by playing radio for an hour. Turn it off and then back on and one of the front speakers had slightly lower level of sound than the others. Performed factory reset and after the setup I started this time to play content from the tv. I played movie from netflix and then a movie from an external drive. Once I turned off amp and turn it back on after 5 minutes, run the test tone and center speaker was very low and front right didn't produce any sound.

Last step was to change the hdmi cable. Same results only this time the front left had no sound. I even factory reset the amp and worked it without callibration, same issue. I tried and tested both sound fields meaning stereo-multi channel and A.D.F, same issue. I even connected my phone with bluetooth and played 5.1 video from it and then the amp did the same thing after turn it off and back on.

Has anyone faced this kind of issue before or knows how to help me?

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long text

It sounds very strange, but have you checked basics first.

Double check your speaker connections are not shorting out or are coming loose as thing heat up and cool down.

How are you turning the amplifier off? At the mains or just using the front panel switch?

It sounds very strange, but have you checked basics first.

Double check your speaker connections are not shorting out or are coming loose as thing heat up and cool down.

How are you turning the amplifier off? At the mains or just using the front panel switch?
Thank you for your reply.

We checked the connections of speakers along with the technician who brought back the amp from service and I even changed the cable that are connected to a better one.

I hit the power button on the remote when I need to turn it off.

Obviously make sure your speaker pattern is correctly configured & you have connected the speakers to the correct terminals.

When the sound from of a speaker seems low - have you checked the speaker levels in the menus to see if anything has changed. I have read that some people have experienced issues with calibration results not being stored correctly or changing for no reason.

I have experienced similar when playing multi channel PCM with Sony 1080 - with sound not playing from some speakers or playing from wrong the speakers or playing at low levels on some speakers.

For some reason the amp occasionally only seems to receive/ decode some of the channels & then may apply upmixing to those channels resulting in weird results.

However this is usually fixed by turning on/ off the amp or source & does not affect bitstreamed sources (Dolby, dts) or test tones emitted from the amp.

Last edited:
Obviously make sure your speaker pattern is correctly configured & you have connected the speakers to the correct terminals.

I have experienced similar when playing multi channel PCM with Sony 1080 - with sound not playing from some speakers or playing from wrong the speakers or playing at low levels on some speakers.

For some reason the amp occasionally only seems to receive/ decode some of the channels & then may apply upmixing to those channels resulting in weird results.

However this is usually fixed by turning on/ off the amp or source & does not affect bitstreamed sources (Dolby, dts) or test tones emitted from the amp.
Τhank you for your reply!

Obviously the speakers are correctly configured in the menu and speakers are installed correctly in the amp as it was done by me and the technician from Sony. I am a technician of electronics myself as well.

The thing is that the amp is not doing it while it produces the sound from a source after it's configured but it does that issue after it gets shutdown and then turned on. And it does it even when you go and try to produce sound from test tone menu. Once you again reset the amp or run again the callibration test it gets fixed and plays well.

Another thing I noticed is that connected ps5 on the amp and run the initial setup as it was factory reset. After the setup, on the video menu of the console, it gave me the message that it couldn't show above 1080p as the device connected to isn't supported. However it we know that both the amp and Lg oled cx can support 4k resolution.

I start to think that there is probably a software issue on the amp or an issue on the hdmi ports.

What firmware version dou you have? I have no sound with the latest firmware M41.R.0518 and also have lg oled cx.

I had this issue with the previous version but it does it also with the latest version

Hello everyone,

I apologize for the long text but I got a problem with my amp that is driving me crazy. I got recently new speakers the Dali oberon 5 5.1 speaker package and I connected them with my sony str-dn1080 amp. I used the callibration process and everything worked well.

After watching a movie with 5.1 sound or playing with playstation, if I turn it off and after a couple of minutes turn it on again, randomly one or 2 speakers either front or center will get very low on level or no sound at all. I run the test tone on the menu and you can hear clearly that there is no sound or it will be very low on level compared to others.

I sent it to service but they couldn't find anything. Once I got it back I factory reset all my devices meaning my Lg oled Cx tv, the amp and the playstation. I connected only the tv to the amp in order to narrow down where is the problem. I setup my tv and then I turn on the amp and I run the setup process. After the callibration has finished I have all the options on the sound settings and hdmi settings to off as I don't want them to tell me that the issue is because something of them is activated.

I started first by playing radio for an hour. Turn it off and then back on and one of the front speakers had slightly lower level of sound than the others. Performed factory reset and after the setup I started this time to play content from the tv. I played movie from netflix and then a movie from an external drive. Once I turned off amp and turn it back on after 5 minutes, run the test tone and center speaker was very low and front right didn't produce any sound.

Last step was to change the hdmi cable. Same results only this time the front left had no sound. I even factory reset the amp and worked it without callibration, same issue. I tried and tested both sound fields meaning stereo-multi channel and A.D.F, same issue. I even connected my phone with bluetooth and played 5.1 video from it and then the amp did the same thing after turn it off and back on.

Has anyone faced this kind of issue before or knows how to help me?

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long text
I'm having an issue with the same receiver although it's because I downloaded the new firmware update for it. I used to get a popping sound coming out of my right surround speaker every time I tried to forward or rewind Dolby Atmos media and since I've downloaded the new firmware, it has rendered my right surround speaker useless. In the process of removing the popping sound they also removed any sound for that speaker at all. What a joke!

What firmware version dou you have? I have no sound with the latest firmware M41.R.0518 and also have lg oled cx.
I downloaded the new firmware for the Str dn1080 and it rendered my right surround speaker useless. Sony is getting so careless what their products, they have no accountability.

I downloaded the new firmware for the Str dn1080 and it rendered my right surround speaker useless. Sony is getting so careless what their products, they have no accountability.

Check your Connections. Probably a loose cable somewhere..

Check your Connections. Probably a loose cable somewhere..
I did troubleshooting with Sony for 2 days, checking wires, clearing data and resetting unit, unplugging wires and plugging them back in, playing with settings and nothing worked. They finally told me I had to take it in to get it serviced. Very frustrating, had I not downloaded the firmware this wouldn't have happened.

I did troubleshooting with Sony for 2 days, checking wires, clearing data and resetting unit, unplugging wires and plugging them back in, playing with settings and nothing worked. They finally told me I had to take it in to get it serviced. Very frustrating, had I not downloaded the firmware this wouldn't have happened.

Isn't there a way of downgrading firmware..

No, once it's downloaded it can't be undone. Luckily I found out it's still under warranty though so I took it in to be repaired and hopefully the issue can be fixed soon. This same issue happened to me before believe it or not. Last year I download the firmware update for my Sony 4K player and after it was downloaded it stopped playing 4K media. Luckily, I was able to do a factory reset and it started working again. I guess I should stick to the old adage that if something ain't broke, don't fix it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom