Sony STR-DN1080 HDMI Input issue

hiko

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help with this truly bizarre HDMI input issue? Woke up this morning and no video out of my Sony amp, so fiddle about a bit and I can't get any output at all, so turn amp off/on, try various output modes/audio processing, switching HDMI cable, HDMI inputs, etc, and no joy. Somewhere along the line I got video out to work, but MUTING was on (I never pressed the button on my remote), so turned that off.. and since then I can get video but no sound, and sound but no video, not both!

So where I am at now is this: For those unfamiliar with this receiver, the Sony STR-DN1080 has two HDMI output ports: A and B and you have an HDMI out button on the remote in which you can toggle through: HDMI OFF, HDMI A, HDMI B, and HDMI A+B.

If I plug my HDMI lead from receiver to projector into HDMI B I can get audio only (no video) through either HDMI OFF or HDMI A, and video only through HDMI B and HDMI A+B (but no audio). I think if I plug my lead into HDMI A then HDMI B becomes the audio only and HDMI a the video only. Why I can get any output out of HDMI OFF and the oppostie HDMI port that I have my lead connected to, I do not know, no device is attached to the other empty port, and HDMI OFF should be exactly that, not off, but with audio.

I've updated the software of my receiver, the issue persists. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do to save myself a costly repair job or even more costly receiver?

Last edited:
OK so I might have solved the problem: in HDMI options Audio Output was set to TV+AMP. I've never changed this value so this might be the default, but switching it to AMP appears to have fixed the issue! For now anyway, I hope this works!

OK so I might have solved the problem: in HDMI options Audio Output was set to TV+AMP. I've never changed this value so this might be the default, but switching it to AMP appears to have fixed the issue! For now anyway, I hope this works!
How did this option go?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom