Sony STR-dn1080 and Yamaha NS-SW100 set up

pdpaxm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I have purchased a Sony STR DN 1080 and love it but I have a Yamaha NS-SW100 and set up with the auto calibration and all detected the sub ok etc. But it does not seem punchy as I thought...

does this sub work with the amp I think it is an active sub and I connected it with the correct cable.

anyone had any issues here or tips for set up please

thanks

Hello. That is not a particularly powerful sub, but in order to maximise it's effectiveness in your room you could try increasing the master level of the sub from what the Sony calibration set it at, try just turning it up by 2 or 3db and see (hear) if it sounds any better.

Also, bass frequencies are very effected by the room. Changing the sub position, or even pointing it in a different direction, such as at an angle rather than straight down a room, could help.

Hello. That is not a particularly powerful sub, but in order to maximise it's effectiveness in your room you could try increasing the master level of the sub from what the Sony calibration set it at, try just turning it up by 2 or 3db and see (hear) if it sounds any better.

Also, bass frequencies are very effected by the room. Changing the sub position, or even pointing it in a different direction, such as at an angle rather than straight down a room, could help.
Many thanks for this I did think I had the wrong sub as it worked well on my onkyo but as you have said might be a little underpowered for the Sony so might look at a Cambridge audio one but will tweak with the settings also!

Changing the AVR shouldn't really effect the sub performance too much. Maybe the Sony room EQ is not to your taste, try it without the EQ on. Have you got the main speakers set to small with the crossovers the same as you had on your old AVR?

If you do fancy a sub upgrade, I can recommend BK Electronics for good value subs that are sold directly from manufacturer to consumer, so cuts out the middleman.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom