Sony STR-DN1080 and Musical Fidelity Msi2

Brennan Peyton

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have the Sony STR-DN1080 connected to a 5.1 system based on Q solutions speakers with 3050i’s as front channel. For music I am feeding Roon via a iFi Zen DAC into the CD RCA’s which sounds OK. I was thinking of getting a Musical Fidelity Msi2 as connecting it to the Zone 2 outputs and then conneciting the Roon endpoint directly to it via USB to its DAC. The Msi features Home Theatre mode which I think would allow it to be controlled from the sony for 5.1 and the Roon stuff could then just be 2.1 when needed. Question is can the Sony work in 5.1 when using both zone 1 and zone 2 outputs? If anyone has tried this I would be interested to know.

You can connect the Sony via Zone 2 RCA to the MF. This is line in connection and audio volume will be controlled by the MF. Zone 2 will be a stereo output and you will not be able to use it conjunction with the Main Zone for HT use if that is the going to be the main connection for your front left and right speakers. For that you would need a receiver that has Main Zone pre-outs.

The MF does have HT by-pass it's just that the Sony cannot be connected in the required way. To separate the music side from the film side using the same front speakers then you solution may lie with a speaker switcher such as the Beresford 7220 and have all your music sources running directly though the MF.

Home HiFi Beresford 7220

Thanks for the advice - I was hoping to avoid an additional switch but I understand now about the pre-out. I guess I will live with the Sony SACD audio inputs/amp. It sounds pretty good but I have the feeling a full 2.1 amp would be better..

I use a Denon AV amp for multi channel SACD but much prefer my stereo amp (both are linked for HT by-pass duties) for stereo SACD for which I have a separate player. When run in tandem an AV amp with pre-outs and a stereo amp with HT by-pass work very well together.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. I have an Onyoko stereo amp spare so I will give it a go and then work out if I can be bothered with the switch thing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom