Sony STR-DN1070 owners thread

BrianC1

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my STR-DN1030, mainly for UHD compatibility. The STR-DN1060 has been out for ages and replaced in the US and other places by the STR-DN1070. But not so far in the UK. The Sony UK website even has the STR-DN1070 manual available. I feel sure it'll be available in the UK fairly soon and I'm reluctant to import one from France (where it is available).

Does anybody know anything at all about if and when it'll be available in the UK? If the answer comes back 'never', perhaps people could point me to an equivalent-ish item from another manufacturer?

Just ordered one from Germany at less than £400, so I've changed the name of the thread! Should have it by next week.

Edit: Clearly too good to be true. Order cancelled by the company on the grounds of no stock. Others still available on Amazon Marketplace for twice the price!

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this too, checking Amazon regularly, to no avail. I asked Sony UK via Facebook and their answer was that they had no news on it at present.

Key feature for me is 4K HDR passthrough.

Agreed. I've now ordered another one from Germany at a lot more money. Actually, the ZD9 TV with the STR-1030 works very well. The TV can switch the amp on and off via ARC. But ideally I want all my sources to go through the receiver and only have one cable going to the TV.

It's listed on alternate.co.uk (which I've never heard of) for £519 plus shipping. I'm tempted. There is also a seller in Belgium that has it. Just a bit worried about what recourse there is if there is an issue with the unit - does it mean shipping it back abroad, etc. Plus I fully expect that the day after I order it from abroad, Sony UK will then launch it here. :)

Alternate seems to be a German company. Of course Sony will release it here! It's a bit like taking an umbrella so that it won't rain. Or rather, it raining precisely because you forgot your umbrella. I've bitten my bullet so I'll just have to wait.

Just out of interest what features are present on the 1070 that make it a more attractive buy than the outgoing 1060 which can be had for £350 at RS atm?

The 1060 says it supports HDCP 2.2 (and I assume HDMI 2.0a) which should be what is needed for passthrough of 4K with HDR.

All the inputs support HDCP 2.2. Generally better 4K/HDR support. Slightly better sound.

But if I'm being really honest, I've just got a 65ZD9 TV and I reckon it deserves to be plugged into a receiver of the same model year. And it's Sony because it'll have the easiest learning curve given my existing 1030 and another Sony receiver before that.

And anyway, who wants last year's model? ;)

Having multiple inputs supporting HDCP 2.2 could definitely be a useful feature. I also see that it has 9 channels of amplification as opposed to 7 on the 1060. That could be useful if you are looking to run a 2.0 stereo setup in another room.

For sure, getting a model in the same line as your existing one should make it much easier to get to grips with quickly which can be a big plus. Having recently swapped from a Yamaha receiver to a Denon I found the Denon initial setup to be a bit of a nightmare! Although in my case I am not running a typical 7.1 so it was always going to be a bit more difficult than plug it all in and away you go.

As for last years model and who would want one - me pretty much every time! All of the high-end receivers I have bought were purely down to the fact that they were last years model and deeply discounted. As long as there are no hardware related features like HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 / Atmos / DTS X where you need to have a receiver have it built in, so to speak - the year on year upgrades that most receivers receive tend to be minor "features" that not everyone will use. In my case last years model had the important features like Atmos / DTS:X / HDCP 2.2 & HDMI 2.0a but was significantly reduced from the RRP that you tend to have to pay at product launch.

I'm not saying that the new ones are not improved, generally they are with some exceptions. However if you can get a 1060 for £350 vs a 1070 for £600+ I don't think I could be convinced to pay the extra for a 1070 with what I would expect to be very little sonic improvement. Obviously if you do need multiple HDCP 2.2 inputs right now then fair enough - that could make the 1060 a non-starter.

However if you weren't so tied to Sony something like a Denon X4200W is likely to give you way more bang-for-your-buck than the 1070:

DENON AVRX4200WBlack Atmos AV Receiver

Still has HDCP 2.2 for 8 inputs and 3 outputs, also has 9 channels of amplification and supports Atmos and DTS X too. The Sony 1070 seems to be a circa £500 receiver. The AVR X4200W is a £1k+ receiver. It should therefore be an improvement sonically on the Sony 1070.

Not trying to push you into the Denon at all. All receivers do sound slightly different - I can't get on with Pioneer's with my current speakers for instance. You might really like the Sony "sound" compared to other manufacturers. However, value for money wise I would always recommend people buy something like a receiver when it is discounted if possible assuming it DOES have the features which are mandatory for your setup. After all, receivers typically only last 5 years (or less) before something new has come out they aren't compatible with anyway!

Just my thoughts :).

Actually, it seems like a lot of the deals for last year's models are disappearing now as I am sure a lot of the stock gets snapped up quickly.

Anyway, let us know how you get on with the Sony once it arrives. I heard a demo of a Sony 1040 a while back and have to admit I was pretty impressed with it!! :smashin:

Thanks for those really helpful comments. As I tried to indicate, my reasons for getting the 1070 were not entirely rational. Bottom line is that I wanted it!:)

Amazon.de say it's arriving today.:clap:

Congrats - hope you have a really good film ready to play on it!! :D.

TBH - new stuff always sounds better - typically proportionately to the amount of money you spend on it I tend to find. Must be a reason that people seem to swear by £100 HDMI cables after all ;).

Did it arrive? Did it heck. Hermes appear to be not fit for purpose.:(

I've just got one of these - delivered (to Belgium) from Amazon.de last week.

It's my first AV, in fact my first 5.1 system, my primary driver being for surround music, TV and film also.

I note the comments that both last-years models and other brands may be as good/better for less, but as I already have Sony TV's I wanted to keep the same marque.

I went for the 1070 over the cheaper 1060 as the reviews I read say it has a new DAC and it's much better with music than the previous model.

The rest of the system is a Sony UHP-H1 - again chosen for it's leanings to music, and Q Acoustic 7000i 5.1 package - sounds good and is discrete enough to keep the wife happy.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01C96BF4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I only got all this plugged-in last night, but I have to say it sounds rather good.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just out of interest what features are present on the 1070 that make it a more attractive buy than the outgoing 1060 which can be had for £350 at RS atm?

The 1060 says it supports HDCP 2.2 (and I assume HDMI 2.0a) which should be what is needed for passthrough of 4K with HDR.

CNET review says 1070 has excellent sound, I have not waited for it because I do not like the non- standard FM input, the fixed power cord. or mainly because it does not have a pre-out which I find is essential if you do require best sound

Amazon.de are sending me another one because the first one disappeared somewhere in the Hermes system. It should have arrived well before today. So I may have two in a few days!

Well, you inspired me. Ordered one yesterday from a company in Belgium (I think), albeit via Amazon UK Marketplace. Looks like it may take a while to arrive.

Now we can test my theory that Sony UK will now launch it here. All eyes on sony.co.uk over the next few days. :)

Is anyone having trouble with Netflix instability? Running two hdmi inputs to my 1070 and often experience Netflix hangs - usually when initiating a streaming operation. Able to work around by dodging out of the Sat/Dish interface to BD/computer then back to Sat/Dish but this is annoying. I speculate this may have something to do with video stream incompatibility but can be overcome by restarting as above. I'm confused and I'm a 45 year computer professional.

BARGAIN - got my brand new sealed 1070 for $470 shipped on Ebay. Best price I've seen but be aware this channel can't be registered and warrantied. Willing to chance it to save $130. It was sealed as original and perfect operation (except for the Netflix issue).

Also having another issue could use some input. Thin little antenna wire plugged in and laid out horizontal on the wall as instructed. No worthwhile FM signal at all and there are lots of strong channels. Am I doing something wrong?

Don't know about Netflix. I haven't received mine yet. As for the FM antenna, the specifications suggest that there's a 75 ohm input but the pictures of the back don't seem to show it. The little wire needs a strong FM signal to work properly and the wire should be placed to match the polarisation of the signal, which is horizontal in the UK but could well be vertical where you are.

It's arrived. Hermes seem to have lost the first one I ordered. Amazon.de were very helpful and sent another one out, from Amazon.es, via UPS. I wonder where the first one is?

The only downsides of importing it so far are the two pin plug and no English instructions.

It's very good. I didn't really get it for sound quality improvement, but it sounds great. All my toys now go through the receiver into HDMI 3/ARC. Everything just works! All the remotes seem to turn everything on and off! Turn on the BD player and receiver and TV turn on all set to the right inputs.

I really don't know for sure where the upscaling is happening, but I don't really care.

I think I'm future-proof for at least a year or two.

Don't know about Netflix. I haven't received mine yet. As for the FM antenna, the specifications suggest that there's a 75 ohm input but the pictures of the back don't seem to show it. The little wire needs a strong FM signal to work properly and the wire should be placed to match the polarisation of the signal, which is horizontal in the UK but could well be vertical where you are.

Lots of complaints on the 1060 in Owners thread . Very risky buying from abroad the 1070 if it develops a fault which seems more than likely. IMO Best avoided . Buy a Yamaha which unlke Sony has latest formats.

Lots of complaints on the 1060 in Owners thread . Very risky buying from abroad the 1070 if it has a fault which seems more than likely
Ah, but I didn't buy a 1060. I know there are risks, but hey, we're still in the EU for a while yet. Why should it be more than likely that my 1070 has a fault?

Sony were happy to accept product registration for it. They seem to operate a European guarantee scheme.

Last edited:
I haven't had it 24 hours yet! But overall it is definitely an improvement on my old 1030. I rarely listen to two channel audio, so can't report on that yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom