Question Sony STR-DN1060 / STR-DN860

Buckrogers38

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

A few questions, undecided between the DN860 and DN1060.
The DN860 has one less 1xHDMI out for different zones, which I don't really need and Component Video Input / Output which I doubt I'll need. Other than that I don't see much else difference in spec?

Secondly, I am hoping to use all of my current surround sound speakers from a Sony DAVS 880.
I will need to change the connectors to Banana plugs but the Subwoofer (which does not have power lead) does this need a Monaural plug? Does the AV power the sub woofer via this connection?

Does anyone see any issues with using these speakers?
On the back of the DN860 and DN1060 it states "Speakers Impedance use 6-16" what does this mean?

DN860 rear:
STR-DN860 Rear.jpg

DN1060 rear:
STR-DN1060.jpg

DAVS 880 Speakers:
DAVS 880 Speakers.png

Thanks in advance for any help.

Buck

Last edited:
Both the 860 and 1060 have line-level subwoofer outputs that are suitable for a powered (active) subwoofer. If you have an unpowered (passive) subwoofer, then you won't hear much from it as the line-level output will not be able to drive the subwoofer speaker particularly well.

You might be able to use the DAVS unit itself to power the subwoofer by connecting the line-level subwoofer output from the 860 / 1060 to a line-level input (RCA/phono connector) on the DAVS unit and select the relevant input on the DAVS unit.

[860/1060] => [DAVS Unit] => [DAVS Subwoofer]

A more practical solution might be to buy a powered subwoofer that has its own amplifier and can accept the line-level ouput from the 860/1060

You should make sure that you set the speaker size to small on 860/1060 system menu and be careful with the volume levels so that you don't overload (damage) the DAVS880 speakers.

Having had a look at the manual for the DAVS880, it says that the speakers are rated at 3 ohms, which might be a bit low for the 860/1060 and could cause it to overheat; its designed to drive speakers rated at 6 to 8 ohms.

I would advise against hooking up your DAVS880 speakers to an amplifier that does not support 3 ohm speakers.

Having had a look at the manual for the DAVS880, it says that the speakers are rated at 3 ohms, which might be a bit low for the 860/1060 and could cause it to overheat; its designed to drive speakers rated at 6 to 8 ohms.

I would advise against hooking up your DAVS880 speakers to an amplifier that does not support 3 ohm speakers.
Hi Marco

Thanks for you help.

After writing the post, I checked the speakers and found the 3 ohm rating, bit gutted!

Having a re-think now!

Cheers

Buck

Hi Marco

Thanks for you help.

After writing the post, I checked the speakers and found the 3 ohm rating, bit gutted!

Having a re-think now!

Cheers

Buck

Hi Buck,

you're welcome.

As you can see from my signature I have a 1040 (two generations back from the 1060) paired with a set of Q-Acoustic 7000i 5.1 speakers which I am very happy with; my living room is roughly 4m x 5m so there isn't that much space to fill with sound.

I appreciate that you'll have a budget, but if your finances permit you might get a better deal if you buy an AV amp and speakers at the same time. Some retailers may offer you a "matched bundle" of AV amp and speakers that they've tried themselves and know to be "OK". Obviously sound is a very personal taste, so I'd suggest that you audition any AV amp and speaker combinations yourself rather than just buying on price and availability.

I was fortunate to get a fantastic bundle deal on my choice of AV amp and speakers from RicherSounds which knocked £100's off the list price, so it pays to shop around and take your time before making your investment.

Cheers,

Marco.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom