Sony STR-DN1050 owners thread

Any one got an app recommendation to replace the Sony Music Centre app? I was deliberately not updating the app to keep it functional for the STR-DN1050 but my new phone was set to auto update by default so now the app no longer works with this AVR.

It depends on what for you were using it.
If it was to control the DN1050 settings (sound/speaker etc), then I'm afraid only this proprietary app from Sony can achieve it.
If it was for music home streaming, then you can use some apps like BubbleUPnP (assuming your OS is Android) instead.

Still assuming you have an Android device, you can find the APK of version 5.1.2:
Sony | Music Center (SongPal) 5.1.2 APK Download by Sony Corporation - APKMirror

The APK of the old version is the ideal solution. I did Google it but didn't trust any of the links.

Thanks

Hi all I'm looking for some advice on connecting up the following so I can have the TV on for every day use and the projector when I choose for films and sports etc. I originally had just the projector as a single output temporarily while renovations took place and it all worked fine but now I've added the other components it doesn't work as expected:

Projector: BenQ W1080ST+
TV: Panasonic Viera TX47AS802B
AV Receiver: Sony STRDN1050
Sky Q 2TB box
PS4

Also are there other/better threads on the forum to post this?

Thanks

You don't really explain what you did and what doesn't work exactly.
Before selling my DN1050 I tried to connect 2 TVs on the 2 HDMI outputs (A and B) and it worked fine.

User Manual:
If you have connected two monitors to the HDMI OUT A and HDMI OUT B jacks, you can switch the output for these two
monitors using the HDMI OUTPUT button on the remote control.
1. Turn on the receiver and the two monitors.
2. Press HDMI OUTPUT.
Each time you press the button, the output will be switched as follows:
HDMI A - HDMI B - HDMI A + B - HDMI OFF

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was wondering about the connectivity of the system really and whether I need the receiver on to watch Sky even if I don't want the surround sound on or whether it will pass through and if I watch something on TV not on sky how does the receiver know I want the sound from the TV and not Sky etc. Didn't know if I need to change any settings or what's involved with the HDMI ARC connection or the need for an optical cable???

You basically have 2 options:

1) you connect the Sky box directly to the Receiver (HDMI IN SAT/CATV). Then either you want the sound from the receiver and obviously you turn it on or you want the sound from the TV and you can leave the receiver in standby mode. With the HDMI-passthrough setting activated on the DN1050, it will pass the picture and sound signals directly to the TV.

Note that the DN1050 can't automatically switch the input in standby mode. So if the last used HDMI IN was let's say GAME or DVD/BR, HDMI passthrough won't work for Sky until you turn on the receiver, switch the output to SAT/CATV and turn it back off.

2) You connect the Sky box directly to the TV (Sky box to HDMI 1 and Receiver to HDMI 2 supporting ARC).
When the DN1050 is in standby mode you get the sound from the TV, if you turn it on make sure you're on the "TV" source and the sound comes from the receiver.

Note that with HDMI ARC, even if the DN1050 is in standby mode and therefore the sound is coming from the TV, it will still eat up quite much energy, as much as using HDMI passthrough, i.e. 25 to 50W.
Only when the TV is off the receiver will consume 0-1W in standby mode.

To get HDMI ARC work properly, you also need to activate HDMI-CEC on all devices.
DN1050: HDMI Settings->Control for HDMI
TV: Viera Link
Sky: I don't know how it's called.

Last edited:
I'm having issues playing FLAC over DLNA (Plex, as Serviio stopped working for me a year ago, most likely because of some update of SONY). The problem is when i want to switch to another song while another one (also flac) is playing in a backround. It simply keeps on "loading" then. I need to restart the receiver. Anyone experienced this?, I dont listen to mp3 havent tried it yet. Is it because of some DLNA settings or its just SONY that sux after some time because of Jappanese policy of lowgrading their receivers? I'm having DN 1050 and recently updated it to new software over network, didnt realize its there :eek:ooooo BTW: this bullsh*t they've done with Songpal, shame on SONY, never ever sony.

HELP PLEASE:

I suddenly cant get signal from any hdmi or any sound. no sound via fm radio either. tried factory reset and disconnecting everything.

anyone else experienced this?

i'm taking it to richersounds Monday for repair as they think it might be the hdmi board? but strange that im getting no sound via fm radio either. is it worth me opening the case to check if any internal fuses gone or anything?

Did you try from another input like USB, analog, coaxial or optical?

I attached the service manual if you want to perform some troubleshooting but you'll probably need some knowledge to get it repaired yourself.

Attachments

• Service_manual_Sony_STR-DN1050.pdf
    9.6 MB · Views: 3,413
Thankyou for the service manual. Ill try a couple of the other reset options from the manual. I haven't tried any analog inputs/outputs so will give that a go too if I can find an analogue device. But I did try again last night with different hdmi sources and a different tv but still nothing and no audio from radio.

I have put a stereo amp and hdmi matrix in place now, so I can at least watch and hear something for the time being.

Thanks again.

Did you try from another input like USB, analog, coaxial or optical?

I attached the service manual if you want to perform some troubleshooting but you'll probably need some knowledge to get it repaired yourself.

Help Please

I am having problems with my sound mode flicking back to "dual Mono" which I have never ever set it to. I simple want "pure direct", set it to that on the BD channel, yet it keeps reverting to dual mono. I bought this second hand. Has the previous owner locked in "dual mono" or are there any other reasons for this? I have never had this kind of problem on any other receiver I have owned Any help greatly appreciated. CHeers

Looks like my 1050 just died. Not HDMI output on A or B or A+B. I get the onscreen menu but no picture, I can also get sound via optical in.

I know it's a bit old but any ideas?

Similar thing I think just happened to my one too Bigfecker. :(
I'm furious with Sony stuff at this point tbh.

I had an STR-DN1030 which I've retired to the garage as a stereo amp because the HDMI output used to regularly cut out for 5-10 seconds here and there (more so when it hadn't been on for long) so was useless for gaming with.
Then tonight my STR-DN1050 appears to have completely lost its HDMI output. Was watching tv when suddenly lost the picture, and now nothing I have tried between settings/HDMI control/Different sources/cables/HDMI2 out/Different screen/resetting the amp - I cannot get anything out of it on HDMI.

I notice it shows 'update' on the display of the amp, but without an HDMI signal from it I don't think I can even make it update to see if that cures itby some miracle, as I think you need the on screen menu to do that. I can't find anything about doing it by USB stick etc, so I guess this is now just a costly paperweight or useful only as an audio amp.

There is a way to update the firmware with a USB stick, cf. p18 in the service manual (my post #485) but you would need the firmware files and it looks like that Sony don't provide them. I can't see any download link here https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...vers-amplifiers/str-dn1050/downloads/00014740

But if you are sure you already checked all settings and already reseted the device, I doubt updating the firmware would solve the issue anyway...

Thanks for the info, that's weird as I could have sworn that I'd seen in the past about doing via USB but couldn't find anything when I looked the other day. Was probably too cross at the time!

BUT, bizarrely, after about 2 hours+ of going through all the possible menu items, checking, double checking, changing things, changing things back, swapping cables and screens etc all to no avail, I eventually plugged it all back how it was, and it was suddenly fine again!

I was furious, but relieved. I wouldn't have minded but no-one had changed anything when it went wrong. We were literally sat watching a film and the screen went blank, while all remotes were on the coffee table away from kids' meddling fingers.

Makes me worry that the HDMi module is starting to fail maybe. As I did have trouble also with the STR-DN1030 making the screen go off every now and then for 5-10 seconds at a time and ended up just replacing it with a new pioneer vsx933.

Aaaaand the same thing happened again with it yesterday.
When trying to watch freesat I get the audio through the amp, but it is not outputting the video signal.

If I watch netflix which is via an app on the TV itself, then with amp turned on there is no audio (which normally comes via the arc connection), so currently cannot watch satellite, and cannot get the audio through the amp if watching netflix or streaming from my NAS.

Presume the amp has lost some sort of signal control at least temporarily, but not sure why nor what the actual solution is.

I can't imagine ever buying another Sony amp though again after having issues with both the different ones I've had.

If I leave it 30 or so minutes I can get the on-screen menus to work but apart from that HDMI is dead.

I bought a Denon and it's so much better than the Sony, not just because its newer tech but just feels a better product

Leaving it unplugged for 30 minutes or something else?

As it happens, I unplugged mine and left it for over a full day. A simple power cycle with the on/off/standby switch didn't help so I figured I'd let it completely drain of any power.

It worked. I switched it back on just now and with netflix (arc) the audio is fine again. Not tried satellite input yet to see if that's fine but will do shortly.

Useful to know that this did the trick instead of all manner of fannying around with countless settings, and it avoids having to factory reset it etc, but it's still bad.

So the mystery at this point (assuming all the inputs work fine again) is how long I have to leave it detached from power to make it work. Mental note made for next time it inevitably happens.....

I am finding this receiver very annoying not sure if it is something I am doing wrong or its just the way the receiver is.

I have plugged in via hdmi XB [w/l], XB360 [w/l], Bluray [w/l], PC [l].

I have PC plugged in directly to my tv as well so it is using two hdmi ports which I have set as duplicate in display settings. 1080p (I did this because the picture quality plus screen fit doesn't go right through the receiver very well also I only want audio from PC not video)

I have set hdmi input port which has pc as L only the others are listed above what they are set to but it still keeps trying to display a picture. (I thought this may be because of arc which I switched hdmi to non arc port make no difference)

Next when I turn on the receiver the PC display starts going mad constant cutting out and flicker (I have replaced the cables and checked they are connected) The PC as well shows Samsung TV for HDMI twice not Sony AV, checked hdmi a/b settings as well it only resolves when hdmi is turned off.

I tried with auto pass through on and off no difference (prefer to have it on if possible for the other systems which I dont always use surround sound for)

I appreciate any ones advise or help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom