Sony STR-DN1050 owners thread

Dorian

A bit premature as it's not out yet but I thought I'd get the ball rolling

I thought the 1040 was outstanding apart from the HDMI problem I had, so I'm really interested in the 1050. It has two less HDMI sockets than the 1040 - while that's not great it shows changes have been made to the HDMI board, hopefully resolving the issues.

The 1050 also has a redesigned remote which is very clean and simple (too simple?)

It's weeks away from release apparently. Has anyone seen one or got one yet?

mikerblade

I sat on the fence between the getting 1040 & waiting for the 1050, when I spoke to Richer Sounds a few weeks back the only info they had was an expected release around June/July for the 1050.

As far as I've read the 1050 also has NFC & Bluetooth, I bought the 1040 for under £300 & luckily I've no HDMI issues with my Samsung.

Manual is up for the 1050 on an Asian site (sorry no link) so you could get at least a rough idea of what changes have been made.

DeanoUK

Novice Member
I've pre-ordered the 1050 on the back of the 1040 reviews. The 'digital'-out over the secondary zone outputs made me go for the 1050 over the reduced 1040. Might be handy some day!

DeanoUK

Novice Member
Literally just had mine through the door. Didn't expect it so damn quick, considering some sites are saying June/July!

Last edited:

lpk13

Novice Member
Deanouk

Do you mind if I ask where you got it from? All sites still saying unavailable except sevenoaks.
Thanks
Lee

Recall

Literally just had mine through the door. Didn't expect it so damn quick, considering some sites are saying June/July!

Wow looks very nice indeed! Can you try a few things for me when up and running:

1. How long does it take to sync up with the TV via bravia sync?
  2. What speakers are you using?
  3. Is the UI fast and slick?
  4. If you have a PS4, please try it in 4K upscaling!
  5. How is the remote?

DeanoUK

Novice Member
Yo. Can't do most of that yet - speakers won't arrive until end of May, meh!

So...

1. TBC
2. Going to be using Q Acoustics 2050i as L/R and various Q Acoustics 2000i series for the rest of the 5.1 (not going any further than 5.1!)
3. Does seem very nice, indeed it's quick and looks nice.
4. I do have a PS4 but not sure it's worth upscaling to 4k when I don't have a 4k TV?
5. Remote is absolutely fine. The GUI has all the features you need, so no real need for all of the buttons on the previous remote.

Some other things. SongPal app is on Android/Google Play but not iTunes yet, which is annoying as it's plastered all over the box/sticker/marketing. It also wouldn't connect until I upgraded the software on the box.

When it did connect the app said a variety of features wouldn't come until the end of May, and also the Spotify connectivity wasn't present. I suspect this is early-buyer syndrome.

Edit: songpal is on iOS but on ipad you have to search for the iPhone version, meh

Last edited:

ewan hoozarmy

Firmware update yesterday on my 1050. The Songpal app was also updated so it can control the device too.

Still can't find anywhere to download the user manual from though :cool:

Recall

Just picked up one from Richer Sounds! Also got the 5 year warranty at half price as I took a HDMI lead. Anything I need to know as coming from a DH800? Does song pal work on iPhone?

Recall

Urghhh, still getting horrible lip sync issues with PS4 and blu-ray. Thinking of getting a standalone blu-ray as it will be quieter. What blu-ray players are you peeps using?

Alistair81

Novice Member
Morning, does anyone's 1050 have a buzz coming from the unit itself? I'm on my second unit and this one while quieter than the first is still buzzing. This is my first AV receiver so not sure if that's the norm but i wouldn't expect it to buzz. Thanks

Simba

Distinguished Member
Morning, does anyone's 1050 have a buzz coming from the unit itself? I'm on my second unit and this one while quieter than the first is still buzzing. This is my first AV receiver so not sure if that's the norm but i wouldn't expect it to buzz. Thanks
its probably the transformer/ psu....check the manual and see if they regard it as 'normal'...usually its ok for a very very quiet hum but a buzzing noise perhaps doesnt seem normal.

Urghhh, still getting horrible lip sync issues with PS4 and blu-ray. Thinking of getting a standalone blu-ray as it will be quieter. What blu-ray players are you peeps using?
id recommend the Oppo 103D.

Alistair81

Novice Member
Thanks for your response, the first unit buzz was noticeable from anywhere in the room so returned that one and get a replacement, while this one is better you can still hear it if sitting close to the receiver. I'm not sure but the receiver buzz seemed quieter before i installed the latest firmware but that might just be coincidence. I just wondered if anyone else had a faint buzz so i could tell if it's normal :)

DeanoUK

Novice Member
Mine seems ok at the mo touch wood as far as the buzz is concerned but I've hardly used it due to waiting for new speakers! Just updating to latest firmware

Recall

its probably the transformer/ psu....check the manual and see if they regard it as 'normal'...usually its ok for a very very quiet hum but a buzzing noise perhaps doesnt seem normal.

id recommend the Oppo 103D.
£500 on a blu ray player???? I have already spent £1100 upgrading my TV and amp, so don't want to be spending crazy money. I just want a blu-ray that does not suffer lip sync issues! Thinking of getting the BDP-5200.

Is it worth the extra £10 for multi region, does that mean they have opened the box in richer sounds to do so?

Simba

Distinguished Member
£500 on a blu ray player???? I have already spent £1100 upgrading my TV and amp, so don't want to be spending crazy money. I just want a blu-ray that does not suffer lip sync issues! Thinking of getting the BDP-5200.

Is it worth the extra £10 for multi region, does that mean they have opened the box in richer sounds to do so?
£600 for the darbee version lol....

It's a serious bit of kit though ... Network features are really good and work better than I could have expected topped off with high end pq.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett