Sony STR-DN1040 Owners Thread

wolfram7

Have you tried running separate runs from the Xbox to the TV for video and another to the amp for audio? I use this arrangement for my Blu-ray player.

I have found that the ARC signal does not connect on occasion, though I can rectify this in a few minutes either with the TV speaker settings or switching the whole system off and restarting.

bp2411

Thanks for the quick reply, I have connected the xbox directly to the TV and it works perfectly but if the amp is supposed to upscale to 4k and it's dropping signal when doing so doesn't it mean my amp is faulty?

Bill

This amp is not compliant with the new 4k security standard as far as I'm aware. at the time it came out the standards had not been finalised. Although in theory it could pass unprotected content I don't know of any. I believe you will need to route any 4k picture to the TV directly. Then output the audio to the amp. I could be wrong but that is my understanding

bp2411

The amp isn't hdcp 2.2 compliant but doesn't that only relate to 4k Blu-ray? If I play a file from my NAS drive or even a standard Blu-ray the Xbox one s upscales it but it's as if the amp can't handle it, the amp is advertised with 4k upscaling and pass through so shouldn't it be able to upscale content? I may have totally missed the mark with hdcp 2.2 here but I thought it only applied to 4k Blu-ray.

Lalami1990

This thread doesn't seem very active any more but hopefully someone can help. I have this receiver, an Xbox one s and a Sony 4k TV, whenever I play something 4k the signal keeps dropping. I have tried different HDMI cables and using my non 4k Blu-ray player but it still happens.

If I have the 4k upscaling set to auto and play anything on the Xbox or Blu-ray the signal drops.

If I have the 4k scaling off and play something on the Xbox one s in 4k the signal drops.

If I play 4k on the Xbox with the 4k scaling off and the amp off it passes the signal fine.

Is it just a case of compatibility problems or is my amp broke?

Thanks in advance
I have the exact same setup as you and I've been having the same issue. No matter what you do, you will not get your Xbox One S to output 4K @ 60fps to your AMP (even in HDR). The only solution is to run your Xbox directly to your TV and setup your Xbox to output Bitstream Dolby or DTS audio to your TV in 5.1. Your TV should then return the pure audio signal from your Xbox to your AMP using ARC on your TV. The Xbox One S requires HDCP 2.2 when playing games in 4K which sadly the AMP doesn't support.

bp2411

Thanks for the detailed reply Lalami I only just noticed you'd replied! I'm currently watching a Blu-ray on my Blu-ray player through the amp to the TV and it dropped signal so often I had to turn 4k scaling from auto to off. Maybe I need to research hdcp 2.2 because I thought it only applied to 4k Blu-ray, does it also apply to normal Blu-ray and stuff I stream off my NAS drive?

futureal33

Standard Member
Hello,

Please could anyone help me out here?

I have this receiver, and am using it with a set of 5.1 Monitor Audio MASS speakers.
Works great...however my subwoofer has an trigger input jack, which when set to "auto" will trigger the sub to turn on.

I am either blind, or the DN1040 doesn't have a subwoofer trigger out?

This leaves me with the only option to leave the sub permanently ON, rather than signal sensing Auto

Anyone else tried this and come up with a solution?

Mikey86uk

Ive just got a new Yamaha receiver and just wondering if these are worth selling on second hand?

Also I've noticed the Yamaha is silent when compared to the 1040.

My 1040 had a constant humming noise coming from it (not loud) and you could hear it with the sound muted. Is that normal for the 1040?

Mikey86uk

Thanks for the reply.

Will take it into Richer Sounds as it still has 2 years of warranty left on it and get them to check it over before I sell.

Gryphaea

Looking for guidance. I've had the amp for a couple of years & very pleased with it. Recently moved to Sonos so no longer need speakers, as I only output audio via HDMI to TV, which goes on to the playbase. Works fine on digital sources, but I can't get anything from my turntable. It comes in via a pre-amp into SACD/TV analogue inputs as it always has. Input selection is set to analog. Output is HDMI A+B. Its definitely the amp settings, as the same output works into a separate amp.

I've always assumed that analogue-in can be output via HDMI. Is this not the case ?

GEORGEMGRS

Novice Member
Hello,
I was wondering if any has an idea why my STRD-N 1040(now upgraded with what appears to be 1050 firmware) goes offline in terms of network connectivity when left on standby. By going offline i mean it is no longer visible to Apple airplay or Spotify connect, only to bluetooth devices. I am certain that it was not the case several months back. I would walk in and as soon as my phone connects to the WiFi the spotify connect icon will pop up in the "Available devices" in the spotify app and you can play music and wake the amplifier up through phone/imac. Now i have to either manually switch the Amp on and wait for its network card to come online or wake it up via bluetooth and then push the music through spotify connect. It is the same story with apple airplay. I see no option to make sure that the network card stays online.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks

jshep73

Novice Member
Hello all

Had my 1040 for a few years now but only just got a 4K Samsung 6 series TV and Sky Q.

2 problems.
I can not get 4K tv to work via my receiver. I thought it was 4K combatible but after reading this thread it appears not!! If I plug tv to Sky Q directly 4K works...
It seems I require a HDMI switch that is HDCP 2.2 compatible. Will a cheap ebay one such as this do the job?
HDMI Bi-directional 2x1 Switch Switcher or 1x2 Splitter Selector 3D 4K HDCP 2.2 739450676052 | eBay

Secondly - I can not get ARC working to play tv sound via receiver. Played with many settings on tv and receiver but no luck. Frustrating!

Thanks all

Bees

Hello all

Had my 1040 for a few years now but only just got a 4K Samsung 6 series TV and Sky Q.

2 problems.
I can not get 4K tv to work via my receiver. I thought it was 4K combatible but after reading this thread it appears not!! If I plug tv to Sky Q directly 4K works...
It seems I require a HDMI switch that is HDCP 2.2 compatible. Will a cheap ebay one such as this do the job?
HDMI Bi-directional 2x1 Switch Switcher or 1x2 Splitter Selector 3D 4K HDCP 2.2 739450676052 | eBay

Secondly - I can not get ARC working to play tv sound via receiver. Played with many settings on tv and receiver but no luck. Frustrating!

Thanks all
Hi
I had the same problem with my LG Smart 4K TV. I have no idea whether that inexpensive box you quoted will work. My solution was a HDMI splitter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AKZAINS/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1 WINGONEER 1x4 HDMI Splitter Supporting UHD 4K HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 3D 1080P DVI1.0 Full HD 1 In 4 Out). This means that I can now plug my SkyQ into the Sony and from there into the TV.

It all works flawlessly but I see that the Amazon seller only has one left, so you had better hurry. Good luck.

Tricky12

I know this thread hasn't been active for a while but I hope someone reads it can help.

I had this cranked up pretty high listening to music. Because it was so loud it managed to vibrate the centre speaker off the shelf ripping the wires out of the speaker and all audio stopped.

Looking at the amp there was no display. Tried pressing the power button and it went from orange to green but still nothing was displayed, and then after 10 seconds or so the light switched back to orange (standby). There is also no audio coming from the unit now either.

I'm presuming when the speaker fell off the wires may have crossed and this has caused either a fuse to blow or the amp has some sort of protection mode enabled?

Anyone have any ideas of the issue or a fix for it?

If not I'm on the lookout for a new receiver and Q Acoustics centre speaker!!

gibbsy

I know this thread hasn't been active for a while but I hope someone reads it can help.

I had this cranked up pretty high listening to music. Because it was so loud it managed to vibrate the centre speaker off the shelf ripping the wires out of the speaker and all audio stopped.

Looking at the amp there was no display. Tried pressing the power button and it went from orange to green but still nothing was displayed, and then after 10 seconds or so the light switched back to orange (standby). There is also no audio coming from the unit now either.

I'm presuming when the speaker fell off the wires may have crossed and this has caused either a fuse to blow or the amp has some sort of protection mode enabled?

Anyone have any ideas of the issue or a fix for it?

If not I'm on the lookout for a new receiver and Q Acoustics centre speaker!!
Doubtless the wires touched and caused a short in the receiver. You could be brave and take a look inside yourself or have a repair centre to take a look for you. I can help on that score as I've never taken a receiver apart nor intend to do so.

As for the centre vibrating so manically you were certainly not listening to music more like just noise. Perhaps the speaker had had enough and committed suicide.

BenCooke

Standard Member
Hello,

I have just purchased one of these second hand for a budget setup I’m putting together - missing the remote unfortunately so tried a universal one. It works for volume up/down etc but the one big missing feature is pulling up the menu via the home button. I’ve managed to setup the amp by resetting it to get into the menu, but if I want to change any setting I have to reset it again to bring up the menu.

So I was wondering if anyone who has one of these is in the Orpington area or somewhere not too far from there that I can pop over and train my universal remote with a real one. Long shot, but thought I’d ask, feel free to pm me.

Or if there is any way to bring up the menu from the front panel, that would work too!

Cheers, Ben

agentwalker

Standard Member
Hi,

I've just recently got a new 4k TV and trying to get a decent 4k image through this AV

I've got a Nvidia Shield 2019 connected and when setting the resolution it's only giving me the option of up to 30hz for 4k.

Is this the max this AV can do? I seem to be getting conflicting info at the moment but can't see any more settings to change things.

Chrisgixer

Try it direct to the tv first? I find with Samsung one connect box the amp just gets in the way

agentwalker

Standard Member
Try it direct to the tv first? I find with Samsung one connect box the amp just gets in the way
That seems to work fine directly into the tv, but that brings with it more issues 🙂.

It's an lg CX , using the earc to arc on the 1040, but doing it this way I can only ever get stereo sound.

I know this receiver is getting on a bit but I'm having a problem with a new TV and hopefully someone can help :(

OK, so I got a new Sony A8 OLED TV and I am looking to run apps on the TV (before these were on external devices attached through the receiver). I have both HDMI outputs from the receiver in use and attached to the TV and a (Sony) projector.

The problem I am having is with audio out from the TV - I cannot get it to work with eARC and I'm only getting Dolby stereo via optical. I have the TV connected via the OUT A (labelled ARC). My expectation was that this would receive the eARC output from the TV?

I've even tried connecting the HDMI cable from the TV to other HDMI inputs on the receiver and selecting that as the input. I'm getting nothing. Should eARC be available in this manner? I am using the correct HDMI connection on the TV - labelled as eARC.

Have tried different cables. I just hope that there is not a fault with the TV? Would appreciate any suggestions - hopefully I am doing something stupid!

Bill

Sounds like it will be a tv setting that needs changing with the output rather than the receiver.

flyingalbatross

This receiver doesn't support eARC

But it should fall back to standard ARC if this is supported. There is the possibility this 'backwards compatibility' is stuffed up and the TV and/or receiver isn't accepting it. See if there's a setting to manually change ARC output.

Check your connections, check CEC is enabled and ARC turned on on receiver etc - ARC is often subject to multiple things which need to be turned on.

You can probably change the optical output format if you wanted to fall back to this. Optical will give you about the same as ARC in terms of audio quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett