Sony str-dn 840 with hdcp2.2 audio?

t@xman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading my TV to 4k and ask wondering whether I can use arc to get the audio to my Sony str-sn840 receiver?
I bought the receiver in the premise that it was 4k hdmi2.0, compatible, but now I appreciate I really should have been looking out for hdcp2.2 instead. Anyway, Am I able to run hdcp2.2 streams directly to my new TV and then stream the audio back to the receiver from the TV via ARC? This way I can keep all of my existing equipment connected as it is and just connect the 4k sources straight to the TV.

HDCP 2.2 is only applicable to video and not audio. The ARC feature conveys just the audio sourced via your TV back to a receiver via the HDMI connection. It doesn't even use the same protocol used when conveying conventional HDMI audio signals from one device to another. The only time HDCP 2.2 will become an issue is if trying to input HDCP 2.2 encoded video content into the receiver for output to your TV. Yes, you can still output audio to your receiver via ARC from the TV even if the content is 4K in nature and if the receiver lacks HDCP 2.2 compliance. ARC is not effected by the HDCP 2.2 requirements.

The only sticking point might be if the TV you buy does not relay the full surround audio via ARC. Although most now do, don't take it for granted.

The only sticking point might be if the TV you buy does not relay the full surround audio via ARC. Although most now do, don't take it for granted.

All TV's output 5.1 surround via ARC if the source content is via the TV's own internal tuners or via inbuilt SMART apps such as Amazon Video or Netflix. If however accessing the content via an external device connected to the TV's HDMI inputs then you are unlikely to be able to passthrough discrete multichannel audio. The audio output via ARC will be stereo 2ch PCM if the source is an external device connected to the TV. The exception to this is with Sony TVs which do facilitate multichannel audio passthrough, but it must be noted that ARC is governed by the same S/PDIF protocol associated with digital optical and as such is limited to SD formats such as 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS. You cannot convey HD formats such as DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD via ARC or S/PDIF optical and you cannot convey more than 2 channels of PCM data via either ARC or optical.

Thanks guys! That's a little disappointing about hd audio pass through, but at least it doesn't render my receiver totally redundant...... Annoying as Sony advertised it as hdmi2.0, which it is, but that implies hdcp 2.2 also, which it is not.

There is/will be a workaround as far as playing UHD Blu-ray titles goes. THe new players will in all probability include 2 HDMI outputs so you can output the UHD video content directly to a suitable display via one of those outputs while using the other output to still send the HD audio to older non HDCP 2.2 compliant AV receivers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom