Question Sony STR DN 1080 'Home' menu

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dunc2610, Aug 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dunc2610

Dunc2610
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon all, I have recently upgraded to the above amp from a denon, along with a new LG OLED55B7V TV. Connection wise I have my sky q and xbox in to the receiver and TV connected via the arc hdmi on the TV and receiver.

I've noticed that when turning everything on, after a brief time, the Sony 'home' menu appears without it being pressed on the remote meaning having to reselect the sat/catv input again, which, frankly is frustrating. A brief Internet search finds I'm not the only one with this issue, turning off hdmi control does sort the issue, however introduces other issues as in sure you can appreciate and isn't a suitable workaround. Question is is there a proper way around this, or do I a) have to live with it or b) revert back to my previous amp?

Thanks for any assistance!

2. BazMan

BazMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Mine does exactly the same (also connected to an LG TV) and it is very annoying. I have my PC connected to the Sony via HDMI (also on the "SAT/CATV" input) and it's my default source, but every time I switch to it the amp "goes home".

As you say, you can turn off HDMI control, but that mucks up other stuff. I think it's just something you've got to learn to live with.

Maybe it's a Sony v LG thing. Maybe it's Maybelline.

3. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I've got used to it but yes it's pretty annoying. I am wondering why Sony doesn't sort it out with a firmware update. If you're relying on ARC from the TV like me then perhaps an option is just go for an optical cable between TV and AVR and disable HDMI control.

4. Dunc2610

Dunc2610
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its an option, just a bit of a pain, I use Netflix on the TV which autoswitches the amp input when it's used which is handy! One way or another there are additional button presses! Sounds like I best get my finger moving! Most annoying thing is I had a 1060 a few years ago which didn't do this, maybe its a lg/Sony pairing thing as that was with a Samsung TV!

5. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I've also had the STR-DN860 before this AVR and it didn't happen. I'm tempted to get an optical cable instead of using ARC but I really am a firm believer in having as few cables as possible so I'm just putting up with it. You'll probably get used to it after awhile like me!

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,096
    It is possibly an LG/Sony CEC issue, I see the same problem with a Sony CT800 and LG OLED TV.

CEC activates the home screen whenever you go to the ARC input & defaults to the USB input in my case, it's obviously trying to be helpful but it is also an annoyance and can get in the way.

A simply menu toggle in the Sony system settings to disable that function would solve it but the odds of Sony doing that are next to zero.

7. lebellium

lebellium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Maybe because they are not aware of it?

Complaining on forums is for sure easier than finding the proper way to report the bug officially and make sure that it goes to the R&D in Japan.

8. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Enough people have complained about it to Sony support from reading around. However I've reported about the Neural:X / DTS:X caveats pretty much directly to the AVR designer himself Eric Kingdom.

9. bobnick

bobnick
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is the most annoying thing, I hope Sony release a fix. It comes up after a few seconds, just enough to trick you in to thinking it's working fine, but no, you have to clear down and select your video again.

10. Moldiver

Moldiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Has there been any update on this, I have an LG C8 and a normal routine, going from sky q to my pc is.

switch on, auto switches to sky q and loads the home menu, change the source to my pc, home menu loads, close that, switches back to sky q because it was still switched on. Switch sky q off, switch back to pc, handshake issue now presents snow on the screen. Switch avr off and back on again to fix...home menu loads up, close home menu, finally can use it.

now imagine a pregnant partner trying to get her head around all this, it's an absolute nightmare.