SONY STR DN-1080 factory reset issue

Apurva

Novice Member
I have seen this issue being reported with other units like STR DN-1060 etc, and I am now experiencing this issue with my STR DN-1080. The Home button on the remote stopped working, and unfortunately I tried a factory reset as suggested by the user guide. Now I am stuck in the dreaded "CLEARING" loop on the display and none of the controls - remote or direct buttons work. I called support and tried the usual things - power off, remove power etc, but nothing works. The unit is out of warranty. Has anyone had success with this issue? I am willing to experiment, so if anyone has access to their service manual etc, I am happy to take a look.

Kapkirk

Unfortunately there is not much you can you other than to really put the pressure on Sony customer support in the hope they repair it free of charge or for a small service fee, they've known about this problem for some time and it isn't always caused by the end user so it's down to them to at least discuss it with you. Any reasonably expensive electronics goods from a reputable company like Sony should NOT fail with a COMMON FAULT within 2 years and they know it.
In the UK we have the Consumer rights act 2015 which gives us the right to claim for repairs or part refund in cases like this but you have to pursue it aggressively. For example a £2000 TV should not be expected to fail after only 2-3 years of normal usage and the same should apply for £500 receiver even though its out of normal warranty.

Apurva

Novice Member
Thanks Kapkirk. It is a disappointing situation, but is likely the reality. I dont think the consumer rights laws are as strong here in the US but I will try my best anyway. Thanks for your answer

Spearmint

Novice Member
Just this afternoon had exactly the same issue. Has there been a firmware update recently? Lost use of the home/watch/listen buttons on the remote, went for a reset, now stuck on “Clearing”. Nearly three years without an issue

Apurva

Novice Member
Join the party Spearmint :( It looks like many people are facing this problem and there is really no coherent acknowledgment or acceptance from SONY. It is clearly a problem caused by some flaw in their hardware or in the latest update. I see that a new update was released in Mar 2020, perhaps it is only now being pushed to devices and is causing this issue.

Apurva

Novice Member
OK, so after spending frustrating time with SONY Customer support on this issue - I have given up. Since this unit is now hosed and I will most likely throw it away - I am willing to open it up and muck around. Any suggestions of where to start (I do have a fully equipped electronic lab at home)? I will gladly share my findings on this forum.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom