Sony STR-DN 1060 last update hosed my amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Homoaner, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Homoaner

Homoaner
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony STR-DN 1060 amp was fine for 1.5yr (low use) amp received an update 7/13/18 FRIDAY the 13th....! LOL! Amp was set on "auto update" (nightmare) went to use, "UPDATING" stayed on / flashing. (No power outage when it was updating BTW) Called customer support, after an hour of disconnecting and power off cycle, the amps message of "UPDATING" had stopped, but some of the Menu was 'hosed' and not accessible through menu, particular to SETTINGS areas within menu. C.S suggest a Factory Reset....
    C.S helped me do a factory reset and now "CLEARING" is stuck flashing, (1 EVERY SECOND) even after completely disconnecting amp from entertainment area, speakers, etc, un plugged overnight, plugged back in and "CLEARING" still flashing and now the amp does not work at all. Prior to service call, the amp, although flashing, "UPDATED" would operate and I could access "some" of the menu. The Update hosed my amp, like a microsoft update hoses a P.C.

Now I get to mail off and hope for a fix, but for the original cost and it was THEIR update, really is a reason to consider other brands as it seems they are all the same. This is my second Sony Amp not this model, just manufacture. It ain't a Toyota. Put this out there when other 1060 or 1080 owners get their update and become "collateral damage." From 07/13/2018 Update Firmware

2. Too Many Threads

Too Many Threads
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *Knock Knock* Just happened to me about a week ago. I manually updated around the same time. Unit was having some trouble switching between HDMI OUT A and B, so I figured clearing all my settings and starting over was a good move. Wrong. I'm now stuck in the same "CLEARING" loop. I finally got some time to take it apart (check for loose cables and such) but everything seems in order.

I'll reach out to Sony and see if they can help me...I'm not expecting much from them. The unit sometimes wouldn't wake up from sleep-mode so I needed to power-cycle it to turn it on, they told me to just leave sleep-mode off. Stellar guys.

3. Homoaner

Homoaner
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to read that. I ended up going at it twice. Both under 2year warranty..Barely. New PCB board the first, and a second when it came back without BT reception. Some other 3 letter board was replaced. Seems to be running OK. Be careful not to let it get hot, I think I stumbled upon this tid bit of info. However how hot is too hot? I guess locked in a cabinet going 6 hours full blast? I have update off. Like Windows if your stuff plays do not update.

4. dobrykamil

dobrykamil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi there

Sony STR-DN series allows for three types of resets.Most common is called “User Initialized”. Please try other two resets:

Attached Files:

5. dobrykamil

dobrykamil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If the above procedures won't help, I'll provide you with instructions on how to update firmware via usb from service mode.

6. Too Many Threads

Too Many Threads
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dobrykamil,

Thanks, I have tried all three of the reset options you mentioned. I don't believe it is useful because the device powers itself on and shows "CLEARING" the moment I plug it in. Holding the power button or trying any of the other button combinations seem to have no effect.

I'd be grateful if you could send me the USB service mode instructions, thanks!

7. lebellium

lebellium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Unfortunately I don't think it will help either.
    To enter the service mode your device must be OFF so if it switches on by itself...

Here is the full service manual in case you want to have a deeper look and try out other things
    strdn860_service_manuals.pdf

But I think you will have no other solution than asking for a RMA or replace the main board yourself. If you google the issue, that's what all users with this "clearing" message end up with, whatever if they have a DN1060, DN1070 or DN1080.

8. Too Many Threads

Too Many Threads
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it.

My unit is out of warranty so I would need to cover the full repair. The main board goes for $297.80 from Sony, so that's out of the question considering I can get a new 1080 for a bit more. Ebay doesn't look promising...

I'm a bit adventurous and the full schematics are online; I may poke around with the JTAG interfaces and such to see if I can pull out any information. I'll post back if I find anything. Thanks again for your insight.