Sony STR-DH820 taking slightly longer to turn on..?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Xionn, Aug 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Xionn

Xionn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hey all,

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this, or with any other AV's. I have noticed that my Sony STR-DH820 takes slightly longer than usual to turn on now, no idea why though. After you turn it on you get a click sound, then 4-5 seconds later you get the deeper sound which then turns the speakers on. I'm pretty sure it used to turn on a lot quicker, without the turning on sounds being so far apart (or loud).

Any ideas? (I've re-checked the connections on the back and they seem fine).

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869
    It is probably due to the receiver having to communicate with whatever HDMI device is select when you power it up? The time this handshake takes varies depending upon the device in question. The receiver also needs to carry out a similar handshake with your TV.

3. dodge586

dodge586

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the same receiver and thought the same of mine too. I actually thought I must be imagining it until I read your post. There shouldn't be any handshaking going on as it's often the first piece of equipment I turn on.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869
    There will always be a handshake going on as long as there are any HDMI connections to the receiver. You can't have HDMI without them! This is irrespective of which device is turned on first. The receiver still has to communicate with the devices connected to it, even if those device are not powered up fully and are still in standby.

5. Xionn

Xionn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hmm that's interesting, I usually turn it on either for SkyHD or the Playstation 3 Slim, both have the same effect. I thought it might be some weird setting that has been made, like the stupid Zone 2 mode, but it's not that. dodge586, its interesting that you have it too now.

Oh you can't firmware upgrade the STR-DH820 can you?

6. dodge586

dodge586

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I also find the whole zone thing very annoying. I obviously press something on the remote by accident and the only way I can seem to get rid of it is by doing a full reset of the amp. I really should get the manual out and figure out what i'm doing and how to undo it.

7. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    The workaround I use for when I accidentally press the zone button is taking the batteries from the remote, then pressing each button once on the remote, starting from the top left and ending at the bottom right. After replacing the batteries, the zone issue is no more. It's a bit laborious but it works.

On the subject of the amp suddenly performing in a different manner, mine has suddenly started defaulting to the TV input source every time I turn it on. It's not the worst thing that can happen but I always get a little suspicious when electrical equipment starts behaving differently. Is there any way I can stop it defaulting to the TV input source?

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869
    Do you use HDMI control? If so then turn it off.

9. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Thanks. Sorted now - and a look at my history of posts reveals that this has happened before! I should have checked first before posting.