Sony STR-DH820 Switching Issue

MrBretz

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have Sony STR-DH820. Connected to it via HDMI are my Cable TV set top box, my Samsung TV, and my Samsung BD player. Everything works great except for one thing. My cable company has music on certain stations. If the STR-DH820 is on and the TV is on, I can play the stations and listen to them. I can turn the TV off and the music still sounds perfect. However, if everything is off and I turn on the set top box and the STR-DH820 with the TV remaining off, I can’t hear the stations. I have to turn on the TV to get the audio. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I have changed the order of turning the devices on and it doesn’t matter. I notice when I turn on the TV, the STR-DH820 appears to cycle through some audio settings on its display. That doesn’t happen in any other case. I might add the input display on the Sony always shows SAT/CATV so the Sony is looking in the right place for input.

I hope there is some help for a newbie.

In case someone has the same problem, I found a way to fix this. However, I am clueless why it worked.

Under settings, the Sony has an option for sending audio it receives to EITHER TV speakers and all other speakers hooked up to the amp OR just the other speakers. I selected the other speakers only and everything worked. Purely speculating, with the TV off, their logic might just fail when you switch devices. I dunno....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom