Sony STR-DH820 audio question.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by flew21, Sep 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. flew21

flew21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all
    I just upgraded my old Yamaha RX-V650 to the Sony STR-DH820 as I wanted to get the HD audio and lose some cables into the bargain.
    So far so good - I have PS3, Apple TV and Humax Foxsat HDR all wired in via HDMI and one HDMI out to a Sony 40 inch tv with the speakers turned off. Thats it (at the moment - depending on what I get told here!) for now in terms of cabling!
    Although the Apple TV and PS3 are giving great sound through my 5.1 setup I am having issues with the Humax. Basically on HD channels all is fine. But on regular channels the sound is so low that I'm having to turn the amp up to around 40 volume - for the AppleTV and PS3 its around 10-15! Sound fields don't matter it would appear.
    This is the only way Im able to hear it - although I then also get a slight hiss from the speakers - as though the volume is turned too high!!!!
    Im guessing either a setting is wrong in the amp, or in the Humax, although I cant see that many options with that, or I need to again plug a digital cable in from the Humax to the amp to carry audio correctly - although I did read that the Humax will output 5.1 etc via HDMI.
    Can anybody provide an answer before I go mad!!

Thanks in advance

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    I'd guess that's just the way it is, in that some sources output at higher levels than others.

Even if I'm wrong, I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

3. flew21

flew21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Fair point but I'd hope not. Especially as i keep switching from SAT/CATV to GAME or VIDEO and nearly blowing my speakers when i forget to turn the volume back down first!!!
    My Yamaha had every input perfectly balanced (albeit by using toslink cables for all audio sources and HDMI's straight to the TV for video. )

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,843
    The make of amp will make no difference, although some makes do have individual trim settings for each and every input it is the source at fault and not the amp. Not all source components output audio at the same gain level so you will always experience differences in volume from one source to another. As I said, some amps have trim settings for each input that allow you to vary the input to some degree pre amp.

5. flew21

flew21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    But if that was he case then how come HD channels are the same volume as the AppleTV and PS3 inputs, and only SD channels are quiet.
    This is why i assumed/hoped it was just a setting.
    I'll run a digital audio between the two tonight, and if that fixes it i'll have to just put up with more cables again!

6. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Hmmm. I can't really help you except to say that when using the Blu-ray input we have it set to 35 maximum, Xbox about 25 and Freeview about 20 (no discernible difference between HD and SD channels). All are connected via HDMI.

40's pretty loud, though. I only ever have it at that level if I want to annoy the whole street!

7. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    I found pretty much everything was at a similar level on HDMI, as the output of each device should be calibrated to much the same level.

I wonder if there is something going amiss with the decoding somewhere? Sounds like it may be the Humax that is to blame, as all other sources are at around the same level. Is there any output settings on the Humax? LPCM is going to be the most straight forward I would hazard?

I use 40 as the reference level when reviewing movies and yes, during the action sequences it sets the windows rattling! I don't hear any hiss though.

8. flew21

flew21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Oh the humiliation!!!!!!:blush:
    Firstly - thanks all for your help.
    I have a confession to make however.
    I use a Harmony One remote set to change the volume for any input via the Amp.
    When i changed to the Sony from the Yamaha I just plugged in the remote, removed one and added the other.
    What I forgot was that there is also a volume on the HUMAX BOX!!!!
    Sometimes things are so obvious that they are overlooked - this Im afraid is one of those times!
    Having found the Humax remote in a drawer gathering dust I checked the volume being output from that and saw that it was nearly nothing. A simple press of the volume and everything is as it should be.

At least its sorted now and I am back to loving the amp - thanks again to everyone who replied - some people are beyond help!!!!!!:smashin:

9. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Made up that you got it sorted, flew21 :)

While we're all here, have we all calibrated manually or has anyone used the mic? I was put off by comments on the forums about the mic not giving such an accurate callibration so I chose to do it manually. However, Sony's latest amp, reviewed on here somewhere (sorry, I don't know the name; all I know is it's over a grand) mentions the mic in very favourable terms so maybe Sony have improved it?

10. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    I don't think the calibration mic does much more than set up the levels and distances.

I ran the set up 3 times and the results were within a Db of each other. Checking it using Smart Live, I found the distances were within a few CM and phase was correct.

Level is much more subjective, but I am generally happy with the balance between front and rear. Certainly at 350Hz the surround channels match up well to the fronts. I did reset all the fronts to the same level, as they sit equidistant to my prime listening position. The calibration mic had added 1db to the left channel only, so I did take this out.

11. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Cheers. I might give the mic a try, just to see what it comes back with. It can't hurt and I can always revert back to my previous settings.

12. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,843
    The calibration process not only deals with levels and distances, but also calculates room EQ adjustments in relation to your room's acoustics. You'll be given options not previously available to you after the calibration is complete in relation to the CAL TYPE. These settings alter the EQ in various ways:

• FULL FLAT
    Makes the measurement of frequency from
    each speaker flat.

• ENGINEER
    Sets the frequency characteristics to a set that matches that of the Sony listening room standard.

• FRONT REF
    Adjusts the characteristics of all speakers to match the characteristics of the front speaker.

• OFF
    Sets the Auto Calibration equalizer level to off.

You can only select these parameters only after performing the Auto Calibration and saving the resulting settings.