Sony STR-DH820 Audio Dropout Randomly

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by marc9584, Dec 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. marc9584

marc9584
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    Iv got an issue with my new amp, a sony dh820 losing audio for a second or two maybe one or twice a film. Iv just bought this amp to replace a sony DG820 which never had issues in the 2 years to get 3D pass through. Iv tried lots of different setting under hdmi control and iv ran the audio setup on the ps3 and disabled tv speakers on the sony 3dtv. This seems to be totally random and doesnt happen every film i watch, im bitstreaming audio from my ps3 slim and iv calibrated the speakers etc with the setup mic basically the same settings in the menus as the DG820.

Iv tried replacing HDMI cables with genuine sony 1.4v cables to make sure even though i never had an issue with the other versions. Just to throw a stone in the works sometimes you get a very tiny crackle out of the speakers even when the amp is sat turned on nothing played but this is just as rare as the audio drop, I also had the screen go black once when using the Xbox360 but no audio drop so im completely lost, could the amp be faulty? thanks.:(

Setup is
    Sony STR-DH820
    Sony KDL-40NX713
    PS3 Slim Bitstreaming
    Onkyo 5.1 Speaker Set with Active Sub
    All HDMI cables changed to Sony to make sure

2. marc9584

marc9584
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so if nobodys got any ideas then what amp can i replace it with if i send it back to Amazon? They currently have no stock of the same and would like an idea on which amp to choose in the same price range/build quality please:)

3. sutton8

sutton8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I've got the H820 and have not had this problem so far with any source. I did have intermittent audio and video dropout with a previous setup but that was cable related. The shortish cable was squeezed around a corner of my rack and I'd get dropout once in a while but regularly enough to disturb. Once I got a slightly longer cable and straightened it out the dropouts disappeared. Not saying it is that but might be worth considering.

4. sutton8

sutton8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    More seriously than that perhaps your HDMI board is fried. That happened to me as well with another amp. Random dropouts were a sign.

If you are still under warranty send it back and let them have a look at it. Worst comes top worst you can get the Denon 1912 for 300 and I prefer it to the Sony.

5. marc9584

marc9584
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yeah thanks for that, I went into richer sounds today and bought an Onkyo tx-nr609 so the sonys going back to amazon. Iv got there display model for now until they get stock in the week but so far its fine and very nice sound:)

6. marc9584

marc9584
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Ok so now im baffled, the Onkyo did the same tonight, was watching limitless Blu ray dts HD master audio and played faultlessly the entire film. Then i started watching a Blu ray concert with a dolby digital 5.1 sountrack and the screen went blank for a second or 2 HDMI light on amp flashed then came back to concert, so pulled that disc out and stuck on a disney Blu ray on with dts HD master 7.1 and left that running in the background, and boom there again audio dropout but picture on tv remained HDMI light flashed on amp 1-2 seconds later back to normal what the hell? looks like the sony wasnt faulty but what is as my first sony DG820 no 3d pass didnt have any issues like this at all the only thing thats changed is the amp being 1.4 hdmi:mad:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  7. sutton8

sutton8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    If you have another TV or player what don't you test using them. The player or TV might be at fault. Perhaps it is the discs you are trying. You've pretty much eliminated it being an amp problem.

8. marc9584

marc9584
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry but im confused, how have i eliminated it being the amp at fault? surely my first dg820 would of had the same symptoms but i never had this problem in 2 years of running it. The amp seems to be triggering a problem along the line, my player is a ps3 slim so i thought maybe its an issue with the ps3s HDMI port not being fully 1.4 compliant, because the TV is 1.4 and the amp is 1.4:lease:

9. sutton8

sutton8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Well I have a PS3 slim, have used 3 AV amps (sony, Onkyo and Denon) with version 1.4 HDMI ports in the last 2 months, and a plasma with version 1.4 HDMI. I've not noticed any problem with dropout.

If it was a general issue it would be widely known.

10. marc9584

marc9584
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yeah good point on the widely known issue, this is just bugging me now as it doesnt do it often enough to diagnose it simply:mad:

11. marc9584

marc9584
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Right tonight iv swapped hdmi ports on the tv to one that doesnt accept the ARC return and so far no dropout but will update on this

12. marc9584

marc9584
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Ok this issue isnt fixed, Iv now picked up my new Onkyo nr609 from richer sounds and swapping to hdmi port 4 on the tv didnt work after all. Now im getting video drop for 1-2 seconds every few hours or so and it doesnt seem to matter whether im playing Blu ray or a game i think im just gonna have to live with this problem now after 3 receivers and new cableing, my amps display isnt normally changing either when it does it but has flashed the HDMI icon a couple of times:mad: