Sony STR-DH800 Speaker Volume issue

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by digzz, Jun 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. digzz

digzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    71REZRkLW5S._SL1300_.jpg
    STR-DH800 A/V Receiver 7.1 system

I have the above receiver and I'm having issues getting A+B speakers to output the same volume.

B seems to be the main output and when I select both A+B "A" sound is very low and faint.

I'm playing music and not any movies.

I'm not too sure if it's designed this way or not. I would like equal sound level volume coming from all 4 speakers I have. Can anyone help ?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    The receiver output will be in relation to the speakers the receiver was calibrated with. The sensitivity of the other speakers may be different to those connected to the A terminals and the location in relation to your primary listening position will be different. The actually amplified output to both the A and B speakers is exactly the same so the issue is with the speakers and or their distance from you.

For you to get the exact same response from all 4 speakers then they'd need to be the exact same speakers and would all need to be the exact same distance from you.

3. digzz

digzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand what you are saying but this is not in any movie mode as it's in Music mode. So the distance set up is not used at all.

Below are the instructions from the Manuel. I've selected A+B but B seems to be so much louder then what A Is which is very faint .

I'm also a bit confused where it's talking about "BI-AMP" Would I have to connect all for speakers to 1 single B terminal ?

Selecting the speaker system You can select the front speakers you want to drive. Be sure to use the buttons on the receiver for this operation. Press SPEAKERS repeatedly to select the front speaker system you want to drive. * To select “SP B” or “SP A+B”, set “SB ASSIGN” to “SPK B” in the SPEAKER menu (page 51). To turn off the speaker output Press SPEAKERS repeatedly until the “SP A”, “SP B” and “SP A+B” indicators on the display do not light up. “ALL OFF” appears on the display for a while. Note You cannot switch the front speaker system by pressing SPEAKERS when the headphones are connected. 8: Calibrating the appropriate settings automatically (AUTO CALIBRATION) This receiver is equipped with DCAC (Digital Cinema Auto Calibration) Technology which allows you to perform automatic calibration as follows: • Check the connection between each speaker and the receiver.a) • Adjust the speaker level. • Measure the distance of each speaker from your listening position.a) • Measure the speaker size.a) • Measure the speaker polarity. • Measure the frequency characteristics.a)b) a)The measurement result is not utilized in the following cases. – ANALOG DIRECT is selected. b)The measurement result is not utilized in the following cases. – Dolby TrueHD signals with a sampling frequency of more than 96 kHz are being received. – PCM signals with a sampling frequency of more than 96 kHz are being received. The DCAC is designed to obtain proper sound balance in your room. However, you can adjust the speaker levels and balance manually according to your preference. For details, see “9: Adjusting the speaker levels and balance (TEST TONE)” (page 39). To select Light up The front speakers connected to the SPEAKERS FRONT A terminals SP A The front speakers connected to the SPEAKERS SURROUND BACK/ BI-AMP/FRONT B terminals SP B* The front speakers connected to both the SPEAKERS FRONT A and SPEAKERS SURROUND BACK/ BI-AMP/FRONT B terminals (parallel connection) SP A + B

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    The receiver still uses the calibration to determine the levels output to the speakers irrespective of the mode. The same two onboard amps are used for both the A and B speakeaker terminals so the receiver plays no part in the differences you hear. The A and B terminals output the same amplified signal mirrored. You've no independent control over what is output via the A and B speaker terminals. If the speakers do not sound the same then it can only be due to differences between the speakers and their abilities and or the distance you are from those speakers.

BI amping is only applicable to bi-wirable speakers. You'd reassign the back speaker amplifiers to be used along with the front amp to power two speakers with. Bi-wirable speakers have two sets of terminals, one to power the hi frequency drive unit and the other to power the low frequency driver or drivers. You basically use two amp to power each of the two stereo front speakers.

5. digzz

digzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thank you for the information .

So to solve this issue would I have to calibrated the amp with the Mic ?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    Nothing will result in anything other than what you get now. There's no way to independently adjust what is output via the A and the B speaker terminals.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    Does the receiver have second Audio zone abilities. If so then press the second zone button on the remote and this may allow you to then adjust the audio associated with the B speakers independently of the A speakers? I don't think your receiver has this ability though?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  8. digzz

digzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think I do :(

9. digzz

digzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit confused thou. Why would they put a Set of "A" terminal speakers and "B" speakers and have a button to have them on at the same time with different volume outputs ?

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    Why would you expect speakers with different capabilities to have the same volume associated with them if powered by the same amplifier? They don't have separate volume settings for the A and B terminals. Some receivers do however have the ability to use the amps associated with the back speakers to be used instead to power speakers in a second zone that can have a totally independent volume setting than the front speakers in the main room.

11. digzz

digzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Ok this has a dedicated A+ B+ connection. Would this be ok ? I've already tried a Sony lower spec Av receiver and I was getting sound from all 4 speakers at the same time.