• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony STR-DH800 problem

snoged

Standard Member
hi ive just been given a gift of a Sony STR-DH800 and after reading and trying for hours to get the sub to work i have given up,its a non mains sony sub that worked well with the dvd player it came with so i can only asume that its the settings of the new amp ,any help with this would be much appreciated,:lease:i have to say even without the sub working the clarity of sound is so much better already ! cant wait to getting it all working and then connect the htpc .
:thumbsup:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The amp requires a powered active sub with its own onboard amplification and power supply. This would be connected to the amps sub pre out via an RCA to RCA sublink cable. The sub you have is passive, has no onboard amplification and is dependant on an amplifier's amplified output for its power.

There are no setting for such a sub on the Sony STRDH800 and you'll have very little control over its output if used in conjunction with the front speaker terminals. Auto Cal will not even detect it or have any way of balancing it.

You need an active sub and not passive.

snoged

Standard Member
hi
well that explains it !
thanks for the help

any recomendations for a replacement sub ? god the wife wont be happy with the extra cost :eek:

The short answer is no, as explained in post 2.

The DH800 is designed for use wit a powered sub.

snoged

Standard Member
i slowly finding my way around this amp,which would you suggest is the best way to connect a pc ?
i have the hdmi out from the pc connected to hdmi 3 on the amp,but i have no sound,i have tryed an optical lead from the pc to optical 1 on the amp but no luck,do you think this is a pc configeration problem or am i using the incorrect connections.
many thanks

(the motherboard is a Gigabyte ga-ma78gm with crossfire)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom