Sony STR DH800 Dolby issue

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jamichu, Sep 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jamichu

jamichu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm having a bit on an issue with my Sony AVR.

When Blu-Ray is connected via HDMI the amp plays Dolby digital or whatever the disk wants no problem. However, when a video source is connected, I goes immediately to Linear PCM and I can't get Dolby back at all. It's strange that the output can have a HDMI lead connected but as soon as the TV/projector is turned on, it switches from Dolby to PCM.

Any ideas please guys? I'm running out of them.

Thanks!

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,146
    Have you by any chance configured the receiver to passthrough audio via HDMI? There's an option in the HDMI settings to either have just the receiver handle the audio or to have both the receiver and the audio passthrough to another device. Set it to just AVR and not AVR + TV. If you don't then t a BD player would take the audio capabilities least capable device in the HDMI chain as guidance as to what audio it should output. Your PJ probably can handle a 2 channel PCM audio signal, but not other audio formats commonly included on Blu-ray discs? TV also have limited audio handling capabilities when compared to AV receivers and this will also limit what a BD player can output if passing audio through the receiver.

Also ensure that the player's HDMI audio output setting is set to BITSTREAM or AUTO and that the player's secondary audio setting is set to OFF.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  3. jamichu

jamichu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Dante, much appreciated! I will have a go and get back to you!

4. jamichu

jamichu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic! All sorted I changed the hdmi to amp only and it's great! Thanks again this has caused me such a headache!