• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony STR-DH800 DMPort Problem

GazzaV

Hi my mate bought this amp a couple of weeks ago and has since connected a DMPort to it. The problem is when he switches to it from hdmi1 the video goes too and only has a blank screen. There is no problem with the sound from the DMPort.
I have an older Sony amp, the STR-DG910, and have no such problem. I am able to continue playing my PS3 but listen to my Ipod connected to the DMPort.
I would be very grateful for any help

The only thing I can add is, on my 2400 when I change the input to DMPort it changes for both picture and sound, So I too would not be able to watch another input whilst listening to my Ipod.:smashin:

AFAIK you can't assign any other video or sound input to it either. It may be the original implementation of DMPort only dealt with sound and now its sound and video - I would blame the Ipod Touch & Iphone for that.

EDIT Just checked, my TDM-IP50 came with a composite adapter for connection to the TV for video. I didn't need it for video and I suspect its the same with you mates's 800. It does video and sound via the DMPort.

Last edited:

GazzaV

Thanks for the reply mate. As far as i know we have the same model of DMPort, TDMIP10, and only bought them a few weeks apart. I understand the need for video too but find it strange if they have taken out the option to have either just sound or video or both!

Thanks for the reply mate. As far as i know we have the same model of DMPort, TDMIP10, and only bought them a few weeks apart. I understand the need for video too but find it strange if they have taken out the option to have either just sound or video or both!

I would take a different view, in that the 910 probably can't handle video thru the DMPort (hence the supplied Composite adapter) whereas the later models can.

So you are lucky and your mate & I are victims of progress.:D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom