Sony STR-DH800 Amplifier

jdnewcombe

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was keen on getting this Sony but am now hesitating when I read of the (many) problems being highlighted on the Forums. Is it me being too sceptical or is the DH800 worth getting. I like quality sound, power, deep base and good proportions - music,films & TV.
Should I look elsewhere?

Currently:Sony 40w4000;Sony 350 Blu-ray & Panasonic Home Theatre.

What problems have you come across?

Given your requirments, I think one of the warmer sounding amps from Yamaha or denon would suit you better.

What is your budget for amp and speakers?

Read the thread solely related to this Amp and make your decision.

For £250 it's a billy bargain really.

Read the thread solely related to this Amp and make your decision.

For £250 it's a billy bargain really.

I couldn't agree more.

I love using this bit of kit, I've had no problems at all and it is a bargain.

Hi, I've had this amp for well over 5 months now and haven't come across a single problem and value for money its a bargain.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to spend under £300

im no expert.

but i have and like the DH800.
especialy becouce i also have a 37v5500. and
a sony dvd. and a BD player. and the bravia synk works good. also with my PS3. but there i have to use another remote.

i think the DH800 is cheapich.hehe.. atleast if youre going for true HD. and such.

and easy to set op.once you get the hang of those wire screws,

and comes with a great remote. and the microfone it also comes with makes it easy to set op.

Richer Sounds now have the DH800 at £219.95. Got to be a bargain at that price.

What problems have been stated? This is the only thing putting me off parting my money - pushy salesman was also suggesting problems - i.e. returns. Any accurate information would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks guys,appreciate the responses.Good that RS doing a great price. Am considering also getting Tannoy SFX 5:1 speakers - would that be a good combination, and where would I get best deal?

Thanks guys,appreciate the responses.Good that RS doing a great price. Am considering also getting Tannoy SFX 5:1 speakers - would that be a good combination, and where would I get best deal?

The tannoys would be a good choice with the sony amp. Not sure where the best deal is --- Google is your friend! :D

Richer Sounds now have the DH800 at £219.95. Got to be a bargain at that price.

And if you read the review from Home Cinema Choice last month it looks like the Sony might actually be a loss leader for the company - Absolutely great reviews from both What Hi-Fi and HCC - both 5 star ratings and of course I did see it in RS for that knockdown price - Still walked out with an Onkyo though...How did THAT happen:confused:

You wouldn't be going far wrong with the Sony 800. It's alot of receiver for that kinda cash.

Anyone able to give me a steer which amp to go for? I know the 1000 looks the part but does it sound & play better?

Anyone able to give me a steer which amp to go for? I know the 1000 looks the part but does it sound & play better?

If you plan on using analogue inputs, such as the Wii or anything with composite or component inputs, the N1000 has upconversion.

It also has an onscreen display for setup. Apparantly it sounds just the same as the H800 so if any of the above aren't important to you, get the H800.

Got Sony STR-DN 1000 along with Tannoy sfx5.1 speakers and active sub. Can someone explain to me why I can get good volume when in tv mode yet I have to turn volume well up to get comparable sound when playing discs through blu-ray player? Thanks

Sony 40W4000 tv;Sony 350 blu-ray;Sony str-dn1000 amp;Tannoy sfx 5.1 speakers.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom