Sony STR-DH790 Subwoofer Help

Andy3105

Hello,

I have a set of Tannoy SFX5.1 speakers but I had to replace the original sub with a Cambridge Audio S90 and I recently purchased the Sony STR-DH790 receiver but I'm suffering some confusion with the results of the DCAC Auto Calibration.

After calibration (which is set to Engineering) the receiver shows all my satellites (5.1.2) as Large speakers and there are no crossover results, the sub crossover is set to maximum and the volume is at the halfway point, if I then manually change my speaker size to Small it sets a crossover of 120hz.

The SFX satellites specs show frequency response of 140Hz - 78kHZ and the subwoofer is 35Hz - 180Hz so what is the ideal crossover in reality....?

In the end, the bass is ridiculous and the wife is kicking my arse over it, my sub has physically moved whilst watching Fellowship of the Ring and I'm having to use headphones which defeats the entire purpose of the setup, can anyone help me out with this....?

unoduo

The calibration system used by Sony almost never sets the speaker size or crossover settings correctly so after running it you’ll need to correct those parameters manually. For the Tannoys set the size to small & the crossover to 140Hz (or higher) via the speaker settings on the avr.

Try turning down the volume (gain) on the back of the sub & running the calibration again (remembering to correct size/ crossover) to see if it sets the sub to a more acceptable level. You could use a sound meter app on a phone if you’re still not happy with the levels.

Last edited:

Andy3105

The calibration system used by Sony almost never sets the speaker size or crossover settings correctly so after running it you’ll need to correct those parameters manually. For the Tannoys set the size to small & the crossover to 140Hz (or higher) via the speaker settings on the avr.

Try turning down the volume (gain) on the back of the sub & running the calibration again (remembering to correct size/ crossover) to see if it sets the sub to a more acceptable level. You could use a sound meter app on a phone if you’re still not happy with the levels.
Thanks for your help mate, I'd have replied sooner but I forgot to watch my own thread....🤦‍♂️

Andy3105

I've noticed that if the volume on the sub is set too low, the Receiver reports that there was too much noise in the room to calibrate correctly which seems a bit weird but slight adjustments get me to a point where it works again....

dante01

Distinguished Member
Run the calibration again, ensuring you don't make any noise while performing the calibration. This would include noise outside that can be heard in the room being calibrated.

Before starting the calibration, set the volume on the rear of your sub to what would equate to about 10 o'clock. Set the phase to 0° and the frequency filter to its highest setting.

Run the calibration and then set all your speakers as being SMALL and assign them crossovers of 150Hz.

Andy3105

The lowest range the Tannoys go to is 140 so to set the crossover to 150 technically loses a 10hz band right....?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The lowest range the Tannoys go to is 140 so to set the crossover to 150 technically loses a 10hz band right....?
No. Crossovers are a gentle slope and the value shown is normally at the midpoint, so there will be an overlap between the different speakers.

Try setting the crossover at 120Hz and work from there. This might avoid any "boominess" caused by the sub and main speakers reproducing the same frequencies at a high level, so you can then set up the sub level to give you maximum impact without rattling your fillings out!!

Andy3105

No. Crossovers are a gentle slope and the value shown is normally at the midpoint, so there will be an overlap between the different speakers.

Try setting the crossover at 120Hz and work from there. This might avoid any "boominess" caused by the sub and main speakers reproducing the same frequencies at a high level, so you can then set up the sub level to give you maximum impact without rattling your fillings out!!
That's the goal, I watched The Tomorrow War on Prime Video and had night mode on just in case and it still woke the Mrs up, she was not best pleased....

Andy3105

No, nothing is lost. All frequencies at and below the crossovers are sent to the sub.

Set the crossover where I suggested :)
Thanks mate, I'll give it a go later on....👍

dante01

Distinguished Member
That's the goal, I watched The Tomorrow War on Prime Video and had night mode on just in case and it still woke the Mrs up, she was not best pleased....

The sub is simply levelled to the same SPL as your passive speakers. The sub isn't there to boost the loudness so simply decrease the master audio if the output of your setup is too loud. The issue with this is that you'd then not be ortraying soundtracks as they were intended to be heard and you'd be reducing the dynamic range of the audio you were listening to. This would make it harder to hear quieter asoects of a soundtrack such as dialogue. The receiver should have a night listening mode of some ecription that would help the quieter aspects to be still audible at lower listening levels? Tryu engaging this and reduce the master volume while your wife is asleep or in order to not disturb other householders and or neighbours.

Andy3105

What is reference volume on Sony amps....? I ask because I've got an SPL meter but Sony don't use the -80+20 scale so I have no idea where 0.0dB is....

dante01

Distinguished Member
What is reference volume on Sony amps....? I ask because I've got an SPL meter but Sony don't use the -80+20 scale so I have no idea where 0.0dB is....

It would be the same as that used by every other manufacturer. Reference for home theatre is universally regarded as being 75db. The issue with using a Sony AV receiver is that they use an absolute master volume scale as opposed to a relative to reference scale. You'd not therefore be able to set the master volume to 0db and be able to regard this as reference post calibration. I've no idea as to what master volume you'd need to set a Sony AVR to in order to be at reference?

Last edited:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
On my Sony, Reference is 34 on the display. That gives a measured 75DB with a "C" weighted Pink Noise measurement.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom